cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating EV 9 to EV 10 + Splitting Storage and SQL

Don_Schwartz
Level 2

Greettings!  

Yet another EV migration question however this particular scenario I have not seen covered so forgive if there is overlap.

Current Config:

EV 9.0.2 running on Server 2003 R2 32bit (physical)

SQL 2005 running on the EV9 box

Datastore (1.13TB) also sited on the EV9 box.  Data is only 130 archived mailboxes and about 450Gb of public folders.  No files shares and no holds

Target Config:

EV 10.0.4

Server 2012 R2 (VM)

SQL 2008 on speparate box

Datastore sited on NAS

The work flow for this migration I'd like feedback on would be;

1.  Moving the SQL databases to the new SQL 2008 instance

2.  Move datastores to the new NAS

3.  Use the Server Migration Wizard to export EV settings to new EV 10 VM

4.  Push out add-in updates to clients 

My assumption is that the Mirgration Wiz move will be easier if the datastore is the same location on both ends of the migration thus moving the datastore first.  Perhaps I'm wrong and I should make the move of data after the Migration Wiz has run as others suggest.

Does the Migration Wiz update the shortcut paths when the new server is up?

Should I really be considering using the Archive Migration tool to move between EV9 and EV10 given the small number of mailboxes?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You don't have a lot of data but not all 3rd party migration solutions can't move PF.  We have a utility that will export the PF back to the Exchange PF Store but that is a different subject. :)

As long as you can present the storage for vault stores and indexes to the new EV server you will be fine using EV Server Settings Migration Wizard.  It should be pretty easy.

If you want to move the data to new storage you can just execute the move and then update the database afterwards.

Be sure to give the doc a good read:

Enterprise Vault Server Settings Migration Wizard Overview

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH166093

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

TonySterling

You don't have a lot of data but not all 3rd party migration solutions can't move PF.  We have a utility that will export the PF back to the Exchange PF Store but that is a different subject. :)

As long as you can present the storage for vault stores and indexes to the new EV server you will be fine using EV Server Settings Migration Wizard.  It should be pretty easy.

If you want to move the data to new storage you can just execute the move and then update the database afterwards.

Be sure to give the doc a good read:

Enterprise Vault Server Settings Migration Wizard Overview

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH166093

TonySterling

Hi Don,

For 2 and 4, as you are simply moving the data from one place to another and then using the EV Server Setting Migration Wizard EV to change servers/upgrade you will not need update shortcuts.  For the PF, the EV Server Setting Migration Wizard will take care of that as well.

For 1, upgrading SQL is fine, just follow the appropriate Technotes.

Lastly, for 3, yes, you will be able to update the locations.

Best,

Tony

Don_Schwartz
Level 2

Hi Tony -  Thanks for your reply.  I've gone through the document and it seems pretty straight forward.  I have a few questions:

1) As I mentioned I'm going to upgrade/migrate the SQL server and it seems like this should be the first step.  Would you agree?  I should reinterate that both archive stores AND SQL 2005 are on the current EV9 server (yeah I know...)

2) There's no mention of updating shortcuts for the email archives.  Does the migration automatically update the metadata in the shortcuts?

3)  I've watch a video of the migration tool being used and they reference using the same drive letter and path designations on the destination server.  If those designations change it seems like the migration wizard allows one to repoint to the new destinations.  Is that correct?

4)  Public Folders & PST files - Does the forklift of the archives store and the reconnection of the data source on the new EV10 server pickup the PFs or do we really need to rehydrate those back into Exchange and then build the PF archive anew? Is it neccessary to move the PSTs separately using the EV scripts?

Thanks a ton for your insight.  As you note we don't have much data and the cost of something like TrasVault is prohibitive.

Don_Schwartz
Level 2

Thanks for the quick response Tony!

Don_Schwartz
Level 2

Hey Tony -  One last question.  Do the EV9 Outlook Add-ins need to be removed before pushing out the EV10 Outlook Add-ins via GPO or will the new add-in overwrite the old?