Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating EV HW to VM

K_G
Level 6
Partner Accredited

hi,

I want to migrate EV 9 HW to new VM machines.

Do you have any recommendations and real experience that you lived before?

Questions:

-did you ever used P2V?(what about the converting 4 TB disks to Virtual disk?) It cause any risks?

My steps are;

- Install New fresh EV 9 same version on target server.

-Export old HW configuration  with ev migration wizard then import to new Virtual machine.

-unmount disks from physical HW  and mount to VM then convert to V-disk.(converting to V-disk have any risk? )

thanks..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I would go as you say, use the Settings Migration Wizard to migrate to the new machine.

P2V of a 4TB disk would take too long, when you pre-copy the data to the new (virtual) server you can continue working with the current server. And migrate the changed data with robocopy.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I would go as you say, use the Settings Migration Wizard to migrate to the new machine.

P2V of a 4TB disk would take too long, when you pre-copy the data to the new (virtual) server you can continue working with the current server. And migrate the changed data with robocopy.

AWMorris
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

As ZeRoC00L had indicated the Server Settings Migration Wizard is the way to go.  I completed a project last week which involved an upgrade from EV 9 to 10.0.1 and a hardware refresh that transitioned from physical hardware to VMWare.  The project went very smooth with the exception of some FSAReporting issues that were ultimately resolved.

K_G
Level 6
Partner Accredited

yes P2V takes too long time and it may generate time out errors maybe..

So i will unmount SAN disks from Physical HW then mount to virtual machive but what is your suggestions for changing to 4 TB disks to virtual?

If you give steps of this i will be happy.

thanks...