cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing Default Upgrade Group

GianniCool
Level 6
Partner
OK, I gave my client the fix for this issue from the Symantec Knowledgebase:  http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/326380.htm

Now, he is worried what all this would impact.  I told him that this is the solution to his issue, but wants to hear it from a Symantec employee...

Here's what he wrote:

We need to understand the implications better for rolling back the EV Directory database, given that we have enabled new mailboxes since the weekend.  We need to be sure that items that have been archived over the past 5 days will not be impacted, including journaled items, and those via overnight archiving.  Additionally we have concerns about permissions on archives that have been synched, including folders in mailboxes, as we believe this is data stored in the directory database.  It may be that this will be re-synched, but we need to be absolutely sure this is the case.  There may well be other issues that we don't know about too.

The alternative is to fix the configuration, and although there may not be a hotfix, there could be a solution to manually fix the database and introduce the missing Vault Storage groups - it could be as simple as configuring a re-run of the configuration wizard to update the server and site that is missing, but again, we need confirmation on what impact that might have.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

FWIW the issue comes about from a Computer listed in the computerEntry table not being online when the upgrade and configuration is performed.

An error is thrown in the background and not caught and thus the Default Vault Store Group does not get created.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Is this your client?
https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/restore-week-old-directory-db

GianniCool
Level 6
Partner
I think so, as the wording looks very familiar.  When did he send this?

GianniCool
Level 6
Partner
Oh, I see that he sent it today...Must be him...

GianniCool
Level 6
Partner
Well Tony, what's your take on this?

Kishan1
Not applicable
Partner Accredited

Hi Gianni,

I have experienced this problem before, bellow was my resolution:

Problem: Enterprise Vault Default Upgrade Group does not appear after an upgrade

Synopsis: SIS DB has not been created

Solution:

Create a permanent vault store group:

-Right click vault store groups select new vault store group àName this as the Upgrade Group that you would like to use for future use e.g. mailbox vault store group

N.B* by creating this vault store group a SIS DB will be created

Create a temp vault store:

-Right click the newly created vault store group select new vault store

-Assign a temp name to the vault store as further into the solution we will delete this vault store e.g. temp vault store

Create a temp vault store partition:

-Right click the newly created vault store select new vault store partition

-Assign a temp name to the vault store partition as further into the solution we will delete this vault store e.g. temp vault store partition

SQL Changes:

-Depending on the SQL version in use open up SQL Enterprise Manger for SQL 2000 or System Manager for SQL 2005

-locate to the Vault store table within the Directory DB

-Open up the vault store table and compare the SISBoundry Column for the newly created vault store and the previously created vault store

-Edit the value for the  previously created vault store so that they appear exactly as the newly created vault store.

Restart Admin Services:

-Open the services snapin within MMC àRight click Enterprise Vault Admin Service and select restart

Delete temp vault store partition and temp vault store group:

-Under the Temp Vault Store right click the temp Vault Store and select delete

-Under the newly created Vault Store Group right click the temp Vault Store and select delete

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

FWIW the issue comes about from a Computer listed in the computerEntry table not being online when the upgrade and configuration is performed.

An error is thrown in the background and not caught and thus the Default Vault Store Group does not get created.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146