cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move secondary archives to existing Primary archives

Debasish_Mitra
Level 3

We have some users who have more than one seconday mailboxes.They already have their Primary mailbox enabled for archiving.Now they want to move the data from secondary mailboxes to existing primary archive.We are trying  to use EV 8.0SP4 Move archive functionality to do this and currently testing is going on.I am thninking in this line that

I have to enable archiving for all the secondary mailboxes and wait till all the mails are getting archived into their respective archives before I can use the move archive.So as per the Symantec documentaion on move archive

1.Moving active archive to new destination achive
2.Moving inactive archive to active sestination achive. - this will be our case.

My question is how to make my seconadry archives inactive?Should remove them from provisioning group -

Has anyone tested this scenario?

4 REPLIES 4

Mohawk_Marvin
Level 6
Partner
Unless I misunderstand, I think you are trying to do a merge rather than a move? In which case I dont think Move Archive wil work?

Nick_White
Level 6
Employee

As Marvin says, if you are trying to merge two Archives into one then Move Archive is not able to do this. Move Archive is designed to move an Archive from one Vault Store to another, not move one Archive into another. The only way to take data out of an Archive and move it to another is to export it, either to a mailbox or to PST, and then import it again to the new Archive. If you export to mailbox then this will happen automatically on subsequent archiving runs. If you export to PST then you need to use the PST Migration wizard

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
If you use Microsoft's Exmerge it will permit you to do a mass export of all the associated mailboxes and then use the PST Migration wizard or use Exmerge to re-import the pst's into the primary mailboxes and let the normal archiving run perform the cleanup for you as per your policy

Debasish_Mitra
Level 3
Thank you Gentlemen,

For your clarification.
We are basically  trying to Merge secondary mailbox data in to primary archive.We have an  additional user requirement i.e. Folder structure movement.The end user wants to see the  folder structure of  secondary mailbox in the primary archive after the merge .

I think we have to use Exmerge or PST migration to achieve the desired results.