cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving Enterprise Vault shortcuts in outlook 2010

ToVe
Level 2
Partner Accredited

When interacting with archived item shortcuts in Outlook 2010 using Enterprise Vault 9.0.1 client, a copy of the shortcut will result in the error, "You cannot copy an Enterprise Vault shortcut. You can restore the item and then copy the restored item."

Changing the desktop policy to allow shortcut COPY??? is also no real solution as we don't want the side-effect from it. (Why shortcut COPY if do a move/drag and drop)

In TECH143955 you state this is for version V9.0.1. 

The article also states that: the issue is currently scheduled to be addressed in the next major revision of the product.

I just tested with the V10 outlook add-in and no solution. Do you have an update/fix for this as this results in 'Bad user experience"

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
This is still a problem, unfortunately. Investigations have taken place, and the changes required on our side to workaround the changes in Outlook are somewhat large, and that is the main reason it has not been addressed. You can always log a call with Support and ask them to get your details, your business case, your size/impact added to the existing issue (referenced at the bottom of the tech note)
Working for cloudficient.com

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

LCT
Level 6
Accredited Certified
For known issues/bugs such as your issue, you should log a case with Tech Support or/and subscribe to the technote and you will get an update if and when the issues are updated/fixed.

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

are you talking about moving shortcuts to other folders within outlook? you interchange the words copy and move so it's not clear to me.

AndrewB

if you're talking about moving shortcuts in outlook then two things:

1. the article provides a workaround. have you tried it?

2. i do not experience the problem in my lab with EV10 server and outlook 2010 with the EV10 client. if the workaround is not sufficient and this is a showstopper for your users then you can upgrade your server and clients to EV10.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
This is still a problem, unfortunately. Investigations have taken place, and the changes required on our side to workaround the changes in Outlook are somewhat large, and that is the main reason it has not been addressed. You can always log a call with Support and ask them to get your details, your business case, your size/impact added to the existing issue (referenced at the bottom of the tech note)

AndrewB

rob, what are the steps to recreate this issue?

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

If I remember correctly...

Make sure your policy is set for Allow Shortcut = Off.

Synchronise the mailbox which you're testing with

Relaunch Outlook 2010

Drag and drop a shortcut (ie a move..)

That should make it fail

AndrewB

ok so i have it on. isnt a move technically a copy+delete?

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

If you have it on, that'll be why you don't see the problem as reported by the OP.  So that's good.

A move might be now like that in Outlook 2010, but it hadn't used to be in previous Outlook versions.  Hence the issue :(  Disallowing the copy .. causes the failure... because we don't know that there is a delete in the works too. :(

AndrewB

EDIT: i have shortcut copy on which is why it works for me. sorry about the confusion. however, the workaround still works so it really shouldn't be a showstopper for your users.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Except educating users is not always an easy task :(

AndrewB

each company's culture is different in how they treat "IT" but from my experience, if they call in and get instructed to right click instead of drag and drop it's one of those "oh, ok I'll do that instead" things and not "OMG this is unacceptable I can't do my work this way. let me speak to your manager" type of things.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

I agree.. but in companies with 10,000s of employees that might be a lot of help desk calls :(  And if you mass mail people, they only delete it.

It is a bug which does need addressing.. but how and when is up in the air at the moment.  Like I said earlier the business case/impact needs adding to the issue we have already open, that way it might get more attention.

pdungev
Level 2

can I move my shortcuts into different folder within outlook?

Thanks