Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving SharePoint archiving role to a new server

Ksimir
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi everyone!

Just wondering what the easiest way to move SharePoint archiving role from one server to a new server.

Currently, I have 2 servers:

• Mail archving server (EV 10.0.1)
  • Journaling and SharePoint archiving server (EV 10.0.1)

I would like to move the SharePoint archving role on the first server in order to dedicate the second one to journaling. There is a dedicated vault store for SharePoint.

Do i need to procede like I wanted to move EV to a new server? (http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH55377

But in my case, I don't want to decommission the second server running journaling...

Thank you for your help!

Samir

3 REPLIES 3

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

is your new server going to be different from the existing server in terms of hardware specs? since sharepoint is user facing and journaling is not, i would configure the new server to journal archive to a new vault store on your new server and call it a day. no downtime or impact to the users.

Ksimir
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi Andrew!

No there is no new server. All I have already exists. I need to change the SharePoint archiving task from journaling to mail archiving one....

Prone2Typos
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I think the link you provided is too much. 

If you do not plan to move your storage, I would assume that you could change the computerentryid for the task you wished to move and run USL. 

I should throw out the disclaimer that I have not tried this and I would not try it in production without testing it... but if all you need is the task moved, it seems more building blockish then full on decomission