Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving from Vault back to Exchange

Celtic
Level 5
Partner

Hi,

If I want to move the content from Exchange back to the vault and then close the vault what is the best way to do it?

Is it to use the export wizard to

1. export archive to psts, import psts to exchange mailbox and the then close vault?

or

2. export archives directly into mailbox and then close vault?

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Export Archive takes data out of the vault, back to a mailbox/pst.

Can you rephrase your question, and I'm not sure it makes sense?

Working for cloudficient.com

Ameen
Level 6

If you really want to move the data to Exchange use the second method,

export archives directly into mailbox and then close vault?

Celtic
Level 5
Partner

Thanks guys,

If I use the second method will the stubs be gone (either deleted or updated when the mail gets brought back into exchange mailbox) and just the original emails will appear in the users mailbox?

Nick_White
Level 6
Employee

The shortcuts will not be automatically removed. However, you can set the Mailbox policy to delete shortcuts that are older than 1 day and then do a run now of the Archiving task set to shortcut processing only

Celtic
Level 5
Partner

Thanks Nick,

So the only way to have the shortcuts removed is to set a policy to delete them? There is no way of the wizard automatically doing this when it ports the archived data back to the mailbox?

Also would it be best to configure the policy to delete the shortcuts before the archive is moved back into the vault, or is it fine to do it also when the data has been moved?

Thanks again

DavidO
Level 4
Partner

There are 3rd party products that can automate this task, including ours.  See:

http://www.vault-solutions.com/ourproducts/enterprise-vault-restore.html

Dave

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Another way is write a tiny bit of vbscript + cdo to clear out the shortcuts "afterwards".

Working for cloudficient.com