cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving mailboxes to another EV server

Reginald_D_Souz
Level 4
I have 2 virtual instances of EV servers in cluster. Users on Exchange server A are archived by EV1. Users on Exchange server B are archived by EV2. user1 on server A is being archived by EV1. Q1. What is the procedure in EV to move user1 on server A to server B. Q2. After moving to EV2 and server B; the new mails will be archived to EV2. What would happen to the earlier mails being archived by EV1. Would accessing the old archived mails retrieve from EV1 or would they all have to moved to EV2 vault store along with the user.
5 REPLIES 5

Alan_M
Level 6
1. You must disable the user within EV. Move the mailbox. Re-enable on the new server.

HOWEVER, the indexing and storage service for the EV archive will point to the first server unless you modify the metadata associated with the mailbox archive. So this means (unless you modify the metadata) that not only will old mail be accessed from EV1 but all new mail would be archived to EV1 and not EV2 as you suggest. This should not be a problem (albeit a surprise) in your environment.

This will show the official position
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/273232.htm

I have modified the metadata before and it is not complicated but I do not believe it is supported by Symantec.

Reginald_D_Souz
Level 4
How would archiving still continue on EV1 vaulstore even after moving to EV2? EV2 with exchange server B as target is archiving to a different vaultstore. Does the archive properties override the EV server vault store properties in this case.

Reginald_D_Souz
Level 4
Hi,
I have disabled the mailbox on one EV1 server, moved it to exchange server 2, and enabled it on EV2 server. I am able to archive to the EV2 server, but when i double click and open the mail is gives the error in the banner "The archived item is currently unavailable. If you choose reply or forward, only the content below shown will be included". I haven't moved the archive from EV1 vault store to EV2 vault store. They still reside on EV1 vault store.

Alan_M
Level 6
Getting back to my last post. If you look at the properties of the archive for the mailbox that has been moved you will see that the storage and indexing service still point to EV1. It is a conveluted process.

Is there anything different about the mailbox archiving policy on EV2 that would cause this? Regardless you need to turn on client side logging again and try to find out where the retrieval request is failing.

Reginald_D_Souz
Level 4
It is working now normally. I reckon it took its own time to recover probably after scheduled indexing run.