cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving the KVS admin service account

CWAdmin
Level 2
Is there any recommendations for moving the KVS admin account mailbox from one Exchange mailbox store to another?  Can this be done?  Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
8 REPLIES 8

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Hi

There should be no problem moving the account to another store, as long as you don't move it to another exchange server....

Cheers
Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

jimbo2
Level 6
Partner
If you are referring to the the VSA (Vault Service Account) then  the answer is "No" to your question if you are using EV as designed.

Here is what I mean.

The VSA Windows credentials are used and not the VSA mailbox. You should use a system mailbox per exchange server (You can use one per mail store but you do not need to). The VSA will access the mail stores on each server using the system mailbox under the security context of the VSA.

This is why you have one VSA and many system mailboxes.

Other opinions are welcome on this one.

Jim S.

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Dear Jim

Are you sure?
My understanding is that the Windows Credentials matter for the VSA, and that it's not important on which store the mailbox is located, as long as you don't move it to another exchange Server.

Cheers
Michel

Message Edited by MichelZ on 11-28-2007 03:41 PM

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

jimbo2
Level 6
Partner
That is what I am saying the windows credentials for the VSA is what matters.

The EV task login to the Exchange servers with the system mailboxes under the security context of the VSA.

You can move the VSA account to other servers.

Jim Smiley Wink

CWAdmin
Level 2
Heh...ok so now im a bit confused.  We have a mailbox/AD account called "kvsadmin" this is the account that polls through our servers connecting to archived enabled users mailboxes.  This account resides in our first storage group/mailstore1.  I would just like to move this mailbox from mailstore1 to mailstore2......is what i'm asking possible?

jimbo2
Level 6
Partner
Got it

Yes,

because it is on the same exchange server.

Jim S.

CWAdmin
Level 2
Ok cool, thanks for the help.

Also, should I stop all KVS services, move the mailbox from the Exchange System Manager then restart all services?

jimbo2
Level 6
Partner
Good point!

Yes stop the task that are using the system mailbox. If you choose to stop all services that will not hurt.

Each task will be logged in to the exchange server with a default of (5) threads using the system mailbox. If you move the mailbox on the fly then this may cause problems.

Jim S.