cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NTFS Centera Migration Verification

Rinku_Lalli
Level 4

Hi Everyone,

I am in the process of migrating 6.8TB worth of partitions to our Centera.  So far this is going through slowly but appears to be well except a few.  I need some assistance with some verification I have been asked to perform.  Our NTFS partitions vary in size, some are 25GB and some are 100GB plus (total of 104 partitions).  Although, upon successful migration, I check the log report and receive something like this:

2009-06-25 07:46:26 Starting migration from Partition 'XXXXXXXXX' to Partition 'XXXXXXXXX' in Vault Store 'XXXXXXXXX'
2009-06-25 07:52:05 Savesets in NTFS partition: 316973
2009-06-25 16:05:37 Migration stopped -- all Savesets in the source partition have been processed
2009-06-25 16:05:37 Savesets migrated: 316973, Rate: 38535 Savesets/hour
2009-06-25 16:12:01 Savesets in NTFS partition: 0
2009-06-25 16:23:58 Migration completed - job entry has been deleted

This indicates that the savesets have all been migrated but the company I work for wants to ensure that each one has successfully migrated to the Centera.  I did some investigation and found a tool called EVCenteraChecker but unfortunately I can't see how this can verify or prove that all savesets in the NTFS partition exist now on the Centera.  Does anybody know how I can achieve this?  I have advised the company that any verification will be a long process and they are happy with this.  I simply need to verify that the contents of the partition have been migrated to the Centera and then after I can delete the partition and start freeing up space for them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited
As scanner says it is used to query the Centera against the EV databases, and vice versa.

So there are 2 verifications to take (I have it running, so can tell u exactly).

Run EVCenteraChecker (you will need to get this from Support, so log a case for it - and they will also send across instructions).

First verification.

Option 3 - Query Vault Store database to check Centera Clips.
Choose Option 1 -  Check Clips contain saveset

Don't specify a year for start/end date - it will do all.

Second verification.

Option 4 - Query Centera to check Vault Store database records.
Option 6 - Report Missing Vault store database information.

Again don't specify a year for start/end date - it will do all.

If it comes back with anything missing - then you can choose Option 7 - Recover Vault Store database information.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Evcenterchecker is the only way.  There are 2 types of verification you can do with it - verify what's in the EV db's is on the centera, and verify whats on the centera is in the EV dbs.  I think is Option 4 and Option 5.

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
 EVCenterachecker is the way to go. It may take time to complete and you need to run it against each vault store one at a time but it will give you the cozy feeling the company are looking for

Rinku_Lalli
Level 4
John\Scanner001,

Thanks for this but I's still a little bit unsure on how to do this.  I've selected option 4 and it gives me a list of options. 

I think more than anything I'm unsure what the utility avtually does.  Will it allow me to specify one of my old NTFS partitions and then query it against the Centera?  If it does how do I this?  Do you have any kind of guide on this?

Thanks

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
The tool will query whats in the EV database you specify and compairs the content against the Centera to ensure that the data is all there

The options are 4 then 5 and once you select 5 you will be asked for a start and end date range. This represents the modified date of the items in the vault store so make sure you select dates before the earliest item in the archive and after the last item in the archive

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited
As scanner says it is used to query the Centera against the EV databases, and vice versa.

So there are 2 verifications to take (I have it running, so can tell u exactly).

Run EVCenteraChecker (you will need to get this from Support, so log a case for it - and they will also send across instructions).

First verification.

Option 3 - Query Vault Store database to check Centera Clips.
Choose Option 1 -  Check Clips contain saveset

Don't specify a year for start/end date - it will do all.

Second verification.

Option 4 - Query Centera to check Vault Store database records.
Option 6 - Report Missing Vault store database information.

Again don't specify a year for start/end date - it will do all.

If it comes back with anything missing - then you can choose Option 7 - Recover Vault Store database information.