cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Neet to move a vault to a newly created AD Account

salterclan
Level 2
I have a user with a very peculiar problem.  Every once in a while when he sends an e-mail he will lose part of the e-mail when he sends it.  It's as if outlook decides to send an earlier draft of the e-mail.  We have tried everything we can think of including moving his account to a different storage group, all new hardware, stripped down outlook and think it is somehow related to either a corrupt AD account or corrupt exchange account.  The steps we want to take are.

1.  Retain the old account
2.  Create a new Account in AD with a new name and alias 
3.  Export all of his e-mail (including vaulted e-mail) and import it into the newly created account to his new account through an import export. 

This user has been working for this company with e-mail access since 95 so you can imagine they have a lot of e-mail.

What is the best practive way to do this in EVault?  I am really hoping we don't have to unarchive all of his old e-mail to do this correctly. 

thanks for any help you can give me including a white paper on this section. It's very possible that this is clearly explained and I just haven't found it.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
I would disable the current account for archiving.  Move around what you need to in AD and Exchange then enable the new account and select the existing archive in the enable mailbox wizard.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Hi

It's easy in Enterprise Vault.
Just create the new AD stuff and move all mails (including shortcuts), and then give the new user access to the old archive in Enterprise Vault (VAC)

If you want to have everything in one archive, you would have to export the archive to PST and then import it into the new archive.
Keep in mind that if your storage expiry / retention is based on archived date, it does begin from day 0.

Cheers
Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

John_Mason
Level 3
Employee
In your case since the new AD account will have a different GUID and alias you will have to export the archive out either to a PST file or to the orginal Mailbox. If choose the export to a PST then will just re-import the data into the new archive and mailbox.

You can try first created a new AD account and then attaching the existing Exchange Mailbox to that AD account. This will allow the existing EV archive to work once a Synch has happened on the Mailbox.

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
I would disable the current account for archiving.  Move around what you need to in AD and Exchange then enable the new account and select the existing archive in the enable mailbox wizard.

salterclan
Level 2
I don't truly trust the e-mail which is why I would want to do an export import to begin with just in case. 

Can you explain what you mean by this sentence?

"You can try first created a new AD account and then attaching the existing Exchange Mailbox to that AD account. This will allow the existing EV archive to work once a Synch has happened on the Mailbox."

Why would I try that option versus a PST import export?

thanks,

Tim Salter

salterclan
Level 2
ok I think I know the steps. 

I need to export to a PST any of the unarchived files currently in his exchange Account.
Delete the AD Account
Destroy the Mailbox. (I want to use the same name.)
Create a new account and mailbox
Import the PST file
Re-enable the vault store to that mailbox.

Done.

sound good?

Tim Salter