cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OWA slow to retrieve archived emails?

CGYJones
Level 3
We are running EV7 SP1 on Windows 2003 SP1. I have to say that so far everything is working exactly as should as per Symantec documentation. The only issue we seem to have is when users open archived emails through OWA, it can take up to 15 seconds for it to render. In Outlook 2003 it's quite fast, generally within one second. We are new to Enterprise Vault and so we are not sure if this is normal or if slower than it should be?

Could you guys please let me know if your OWA retrieval times for archived emaills are faster, slower, or about the same as what we're getting?

Many thanks.
4 REPLIES 4

Peter_Ayoun
Level 4
Partner
Using EV in OWA is little bit slower as you can imagine, but not dramatically .
Are you using a Front End / Back End , or using ISA server ?

Peter

Kelvin_2
Level 2
Hi CGYJones,
I am also implementing EV7 on W2K3 now and experiencing similar OWA slow to retrieve archived emails problem.  If I use AE to display the archived email, it is not slow!

When I click the properties of the OWA displayed archived email, I just observe it is not referring simply to my Inbox but Deleted Items (see below).  It seems that EV is doing a delete operation before it displays the "deleted item" so that it take longer time to complete.  No idea if it is true or the root and no idea if there is any workaround.

Kelvin

CGYJones
Level 3
Hi Peter,

In our production environment we have a front-end/back-end configuration. We are also using ISA, however, it doesn't matter whether you launch OWA from the front-end or back-end or through ISA, performance is the same. We had the exact same issues in our lab environment and we had hoped it was due to a few server being virtualized, however, that doesn't seem to the case. I have also created a lab environment at home using three  physical servers (DC, Evault, Exchange) and the results are the same when opening archived items through OWA. Through Archive Explorer & Outlook it seems to be instant. It's just through OWA that it seems to be slow. Currently we have dedicated a ProLiant DL580 (Dual Xeon 3.0 Ghz CPUs) and it's not making any difference in performance when using OWA. It's a bit frustrating.

Peter_Ayoun
Level 4
Partner
Hi CGYJones,

Your situation change the whole picture. Can you try to run a netwokr monitor to catch what's going's on when you retreive an archived mail ?
personally , i am using ethereal, it's free and very helpful , you can send me the capture if you need help.
Beside that, don't know what to tell you regarding the performances .... :(

Peter