cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Override Inherited Vault Store

Jay2
Level 4

We have recently added 2 extra EV servers to our site. One for each of our data centres.

I would like to now have all new archiving done on these boxes. I know I can override the Vault Store and Index server settings for each Exchange server under the Target>Domain>Exchange Server>"SRV-NAME".

My concern is that what happens to existing archives held on the initial servers? If I change the above settings how will this affect these archives that are held on the EV1 servers and use the indexing service on EV1?

Our site is as follows:

North Data centre:

• NORTH-EV1 (existing archives) (this is directory master)
  • NORTH-EV2 (new) (wish to have all new archives from North EX servers enabled here)

South Data Centre

• SOUTH-EV1 (existing archives) 
  • SOUTH-EV2 (new) (wish to have all new archives from South EX servers enabled here)

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

LCT
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Yes, user's will still be able to archive, store and retrieve etc....If you look at MSMQ in the Outgoing Queues you will see when that messages are being forwarded to the EV server that the user's archive resides on. Hence, the EV servers are depending on each other. if you stop MSMQ service on one EV server it will have affect on the other one. Best to move the archives as soon as you can. Archiving and Indexing are still being performed on the 'old' EV server.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

LCT
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Do each EV server hold their own Vault Store/Partition? You can use Move Archive to move the archive between EV servers but only if they have their own vault store storing vault store partitions. EV8 SP4 onawards with Move Archive feature.

Jay2
Level 4

Sorry should have added that info in. We are using v9.04 and yes each server has its own Vault Store and Partition. We are not decomissinig any servers, the new ones have been introduced to improve performace.

I am not trying to move archives at the moment, rather I am wanting the new servers be the default for all new archives. My concern is for the existing archives that are running on the other servers.

LCT
Level 6
Accredited Certified

I am guessing you are trying to split the exchange server targets by adding the new EV servers to improve performance (from what you are describing). In this case you need to move the archives that had already existed on the 'old' EV server to the new EV server, by using move archive. depending on the number archives and the amount od data, move archive is not recommended for large migration.

If you want the new EV server to default with the new archives then you go into the properties of the EV server and the Archiving defaults tab will allow you do this. Any new mailbox created on the exchange server that had been targeted on this EV server will create their archive on that EV server.

Any existing archives that was originally targeted on the old ev server will reside their until you move them. User's will still be able to access them via EV server proxy between all the EV servers on your site, it will just mean that the EV servers are depeding on each other rather than independent.

Jay2
Level 4

LCT thank you for the reply.

Just to clarify on the last point:

Any existing archives that was originally targeted on the old ev server will reside their until you move them. User's will still be able to access them via EV server proxy between all the EV servers on your site, it will just mean that the EV servers are depeding on each other rather than independent.

Will these users still be able to archive if the indexing service task for the Exchange server they reside on has been moved to the "new" EV server?

LCT
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Yes, user's will still be able to archive, store and retrieve etc....If you look at MSMQ in the Outgoing Queues you will see when that messages are being forwarded to the EV server that the user's archive resides on. Hence, the EV servers are depending on each other. if you stop MSMQ service on one EV server it will have affect on the other one. Best to move the archives as soon as you can. Archiving and Indexing are still being performed on the 'old' EV server.

Jay2
Level 4

Thanks for the clarification and assistance.

LCT
Level 6
Accredited Certified

You are most welcome.