cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PST Imports

USCell
Level 3

All - We are in the process of implementing EV for email archiving. Though before we arechive any user, we wanted to ingest all of the PSTs in our organization. We have a bunch of PSTs on user's desktop and network shares. We also have bunch of sales folks etc.

1. Since we are not archiving any users until all of the PSTs are ingested, marking of PSTs will be difficult. Therefore, we were thinking of enabling all users (though no archiving) - Will this mean we will have to deploy the EV client to the users? I believe yes and if so does anyone know another way around this without deploying the client to ther users?

thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

You can enable all users and have it sync permissions and what not and not archive a thing.

Does the user have to have the client?
Yes and no, to mark active PST files (which really helps the PST Discovery process) then yes they would need the client to be active and EV would mark that PST as belonging to that user.

But simply for being enabled? nope, they don't need the client, only if you were archiving items and then they wanted access to those archived items they would need the client.

But really thinking about it, to get a PST to import in to a mailbox archive, the user would need to be enabled, because you cannot manually create an exchange archive without a mailbox for it to be enabled from.

(i.e. you can manually create shared archives, journal archives etc, but for a mailbox archive to be created, you would have to enable that user)

this way as well when the PST file gets ingested, you can give them instant access to their recently imported items, especially if you're going to delete the PST files and then disable PST files etc on the end user machine then you would need to get them access to their archives ASAP etc

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

JesusWept3
Level 6

You can enable all users and have it sync permissions and what not and not archive a thing.

Does the user have to have the client?
Yes and no, to mark active PST files (which really helps the PST Discovery process) then yes they would need the client to be active and EV would mark that PST as belonging to that user.

But simply for being enabled? nope, they don't need the client, only if you were archiving items and then they wanted access to those archived items they would need the client.

But really thinking about it, to get a PST to import in to a mailbox archive, the user would need to be enabled, because you cannot manually create an exchange archive without a mailbox for it to be enabled from.

(i.e. you can manually create shared archives, journal archives etc, but for a mailbox archive to be created, you would have to enable that user)

this way as well when the PST file gets ingested, you can give them instant access to their recently imported items, especially if you're going to delete the PST files and then disable PST files etc on the end user machine then you would need to get them access to their archives ASAP etc

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

MichelZ
Level 6

May I ask why you do not want to have the client deployed?

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

You can enable all the users without deploying the client, but you then won't get anything "happening" on the client end until you do deploy the client.

Working for cloudficient.com

USCell
Level 3

Thanks guys... We are not planning to archive users until all of the PSTs have been ingested. Therefore, I did not want to introduce the EV client into outlook before anything is happening in their mailbox.

But since we would like the "PST marking" to be done by EV, it looks like we have to deployment the client for EV to update the PST with the appropriate archive to ingest the PSTs into.

thanks for your help.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

You could deploy the client, and not enable any buttons....  Would that work?

My only concern would be that once you start migrating PSTs you're going to get calls/emails from people saying "Where the heck has my PST from 15 years ago gone?".  You'll say it's now in Enterprise Vault, and they'll ask how to access it..... at which point you might realise you want to give them either Archive Explorer or Search buttons, or give them the 'full' browser search.

In addition if you create shortcuts during your PST ingestion, they'll see them in the mailbox .. and wonder what they are....

Working for cloudficient.com