cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PST Locator task

psuttill
Level 4
Hey,

Is there a way to limit where the locator task will search a server? All our PST's are stored in specific loactions on each server, so i dont need it searching every server and wasting time gettting to the locations where teh PST's are stored.

TIA

Paul
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited
 well this is sort of what you want, and it may help.

Have a look at Example PstLocatorTask.exe.config - its in the Enterprise Vault install directory.

There is a specific section called "sharestoavoid"

If it's suitable for what you want - save the file as PstLocatorTask.exe.config - and restart the PST Locator task.

Apart from that - there is no other way to do it.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Tobbe
Level 5
Well, sort of...

You can always restrict access for the account that the locator task is running under to have access to only your preferred directories.
In that way, the locator task will only find and match PST files in your preferred directories such as users home directories but the locator task will still _try_ to search the entire server so from a time saving perspective I'm not sure if this is helping in any way.

psuttill
Level 4
 hmmm, but with the locator task needing local admin rights. I can really restrict it from other directories........

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited
 well this is sort of what you want, and it may help.

Have a look at Example PstLocatorTask.exe.config - its in the Enterprise Vault install directory.

There is a specific section called "sharestoavoid"

If it's suitable for what you want - save the file as PstLocatorTask.exe.config - and restart the PST Locator task.

Apart from that - there is no other way to do it.

psuttill
Level 4
 is there a way to see where the task is at with searching? waiting for it do its seaching with no updates makes me wonder if its hanging up...

and now after waiting 3 hours it finally found its first pst and its still looking in shares to avoid.

is there a specific format?

this is what I have:

<add key="SharesToAvoid" value = "\\servername\E$"/>

Also I do have folders shared on the E drive do i have to list them also as well as teh e$? Example its shared as \\servername\fielddata

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited
 the pst locator will create a log file in the Reports directory - I definitely know it does for ev8 - can't remember for earlier version - apart from the log - without doind a Dtrace - there is no other way to check where it is up to.

and yep that key will avoid the whole E$ share including any shares on it.