Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PST Migrations Move or Copy?

SolarP
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi

I was just reading the Administrators Guide for EV 9 about server driven PST migrations. It it it says that the locator task "MOVES" the PST to the PST Holding area. Is this correct? I always thought it copied it.Its on page 217. Or is this a typo but looking at the EV8 guide it says the same

I have not used PST migration for a while now.

If so, what happens to the Users PST in the Outlook Profile after it has been moved. They would normally get an error.

Any advice from anyone who has done this recently would be welcome

Thanks in advance

SP

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Simon_Altit_-_I
Level 4
Partner Accredited

I have just re-read the documentation and confirmed with a colleague the collector task copies the pst 

Yes PSTs are set to read-only while they are being migrated, however they are still able to access them, just not add new items 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

SolarP
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Thanks for the reply.

Ok so the questions still stands what happens at the Outlook client side.

If it moves the PST, is the reference to it in Outlook removed when it is moved to the holding area or when it sucessfully completes the migration. I know there is a "Remove PST Entries" desktop setting but when does this occur. I thought that  I read somewhere that the PST is set to read only when it is being migrated.

Thanks

SP

Simon_Altit_-_I
Level 4
Partner Accredited

In client side migration the PST is copied not moved. You can configure EV to delete,hide and/or make read-only the PST as part of the migration policy.

Simon_Altit_-_I
Level 4
Partner Accredited

I meant to say

You can configure EV to delete,hide and/or make read-only the PST after the migration has completed as part of the migration policy

SolarP
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Thanks for the quick reply Simon.

My question was about  server side migrations. I can see the Client side migrations will copy it, but for server side migrations what is the impact on the client. I am just trying to set the expectations for the customer.

Is the PST set to read only and copied to PST holding area when the collector task runs or is it moved.

If moved what happens in the client.

Thanks 

Simon_Altit_-_I
Level 4
Partner Accredited

I think you might be slightly confused

PST Locator Task Finds the availible domains, servers and PSTs

PST Collector Task Copies the PSTs to the PST holding area

PST Migrator Task Migrates the content of the PSTs in the holding area into the EV archive

If your key concern is user accesibility during the migration you would be better off using Client Driven migration, or doing the server driven migration outside of business hours.

Hope that helps

Simon_Altit_-_I
Level 4
Partner Accredited

I have just re-read the documentation and confirmed with a colleague the collector task copies the pst 

Yes PSTs are set to read-only while they are being migrated, however they are still able to access them, just not add new items 

SolarP
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Thanks Simon .

That was the confirmation I was looking for. It looks like the documentation is wrong then when it says it moves it.

That needs updating as it is very confusing