cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Partition rollover for Quota based folder

Satyendra
Level 4

Hello,

My EV server dump all data into partitions which is created on NetApp storage system, these folders are restricted with Quota and only allow 100GB of space to be used per folder.

My Question is can i enable partition rollover for these partitions? 

Looking at symantec's instruction its not possible to enable volume based rollover for the partitions which resides on same physical disk, does this also applies to quota restricted folders?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Satyendra
Level 4

I have been engaged in some other project work, but made a point to get back on this rollover stuff....

I gave a shot by setting partiton rollover on my open partition based on volume size (when 20MB left) and provisioned a new ready partition...

And it WORKED!!!!

This is great and should be documented somewhere so that other customers can take advantage of rollover feature....

Thanks All!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I don't think this is easily possible, as rollover would be based on "free space on volume", not "free space in folder".

What you could *try* is sharing this folder as an additional CIFS share, mount the share on the EV Server, and see what "free space" is reported there. You might be lucky ;)

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

Satyendra
Level 4

Huh!

So for each partition we have to have dedicated physical disk in order to use 'Partition Rollover' functionality? My 100gig partition fills up in about 18days so i guess i have the only option to keep checking the utilization manually or to wait when EV throws error for unable to write on partition and do the manual partition switch!

I don't understand how calculating volume size on the actual physical disk would help customers, i feel that most of customers will be using a Storage system to keep their archived data don't they use this feature?

MichelZ
Level 6

Well, the problem is on how Windows returns the disksize of the volume/folder (or freespace), because this is probably just a call to a windows function.

You should try my suggestion with sharing this 100gig folder using CIFS, as this probably helps windows seeing this folder as a *volume*, which then in theory could work ;) (should be a no-brainer in NetApp to share that folder)

Satyendra
Level 4

If i get it right!

I know these 100GB folders are CIFS share, and the mount option you are talking about is different then network mapping. Probably my storage guys know how to do that!

Another question would be:

If i mount that share with letter 'Z' my partition path would be "Z:\Partition_DDMMYY" wherein today it is "\\NetApp\EV\Partition_DDMMYY" if i unmount Z drive when it gets full how would i be able to get its content. Or while creating partition i have to still use network share with storage path?

And the next ready partition should be also mounted to EV server so that it comes into play.

MichelZ
Level 6
Hi What I'm proposing is: On the NetApp, create a share for every partition, so you would use: \\NetApp\Partition_DDMMYY \\NetApp\Partition_XXYYZZ For a test, you can then mount it on the EV Server as letter X:, and then see what the Server gets for "Free Space" on that X: drive. If it gets this 100 GB limit, then I believe EV will work with Partition rollover. (You still use the network share as storage path, not the drive letter) HTH Michel

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

satyendra, i see there hasn't been activity on this thread for a couple weeks.

have you figured out an approach to your situation? you might consider submitting an"idea" via the connect community for a feature to automatically rollover a partition once the partition itself reaches a predetermined size. you'd have my vote.

Satyendra
Level 4

I have been engaged in some other project work, but made a point to get back on this rollover stuff....

I gave a shot by setting partiton rollover on my open partition based on volume size (when 20MB left) and provisioned a new ready partition...

And it WORKED!!!!

This is great and should be documented somewhere so that other customers can take advantage of rollover feature....

Thanks All!

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

what you chose to do is standard and already documented in the admin guide. it does not sound like your original question.