cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pending Archive for two weeks

fuadsm
Level 3
Dear all,
I have installed Enterprise Vault two weeks ago and enabled some mailboxes for archiving but I see emails inside these mail boxes marked as pending archive and when I open one of these emails I see the following message on the header:

"This item is being archived by Enterprise Vault
Do not copy, move or delete this item."

This message is appearing since the date I enabled this MS Exchange mail box and still not marked as finished archived.

Your help is highly appreciated.
Best Regards,

Message Edited by fuadsm on 10-17-2007 05:53 AM
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
You safety copy strategy is probably after back up. 

Check out the "Backing up vault stores" sectoin in the Administration help.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

TonySterling
You safety copy strategy is probably after back up. 

Check out the "Backing up vault stores" sectoin in the Administration help.

fuadsm
Level 3
Thanks alot, the solution is working. After backing up the vault store, it freed the exchange mailboxes.
Regards,

Steve_Mullenix
Level 4
I've run into a similar issue as well.  It had been running fine for a couple months but now all of a sudden, even after a backup, clients are left with the grey box/clock icon showing the message is still pending archive.  Does the backup state of Exchange itself factor into this or just the EV store/SQL backups?

Message Edited by Steve Mullenix on 10-22-2007 12:28 PM

Maynard_K
Level 6
Employee
This functionality relies only on the backup state of the saveset.  You may want to try our "cancel pending" operation and then try to archive once more.

Tyrone_Burke
Level 3
 Within the Mailbox Policy on the EV server for versions 6 and above

To cancel pending items using this method:
1. Open the VAC and browse to the Site,Policies, Exchange, Mailbox section
2. Right click on the Mailbox Policy and select the Advanced Tab
3. Ensure you are viewing the Archiving General settings and change the Pending Shortcut Timeout value to 0.
4. Select 'Ok' to save the policy changes and then run a Synchronization job on the appropriate Mailbox Archiving task(s) to which the policy applied
5. Open the Vault Administration Console (VAC)
6. Right click to select Run Now on the appropriate Archiving Service/Task
7. Select Report mode and the mailbox or mailboxes against which you wish to run the PendingShortcutTimeout functionality.

Then re Archive the emails this will the re enter them into EV after the next full backup

TonySterling
Then make sure to reset the value from 0 to what it was before.  :)

Maynard_K
Level 6
Employee
Yah, good point T.

Steve_Mullenix
Level 4
So far I've also tried:

- Manually reset archive bit on vault storage

-Done as mentioned above and zero'd the pending files.  It reset all the icons back to Outlook default but when I force a message into the vault it repeats the problem.  It also only appears to be occuring on a few mailboxes, could it be something related to the user/mailbox account?

Maynard_K
Level 6
Employee
You wanna try to zap these suspect mailboxes.  Have a look here.

support.veritas.com/docs/273154

Ensure that these user archives are enabled again and also ensure that they can be synchronized.

Silli
Not applicable
I had a similar case and found the solution from document http://support.veritas.com/docs/273157

I used method 3.

Solution 3. Within the Mailbox Policy on the EV server for versions 6 and above

To cancel pending items using this method:
1. Open the VAC and browse to the Site,Policies, Exchange, Mailbox section
2. Right click on the Mailbox Policy and select the Advanced Tab
3. Ensure you are viewing the Archiving General settings and change the Pending Shortcut Timeout value to 0.
4. Select 'Ok' to save the policy changes and then run a Synchronization job on the appropriate Mailbox Archiving task(s) to which the policy applied
5. Open the Vault Administration Console (VAC)
6. Right click to select Run Now on the appropriate Archiving Service/Task
7. Select Report mode and the mailbox or mailboxes against which you wish to run

Cheers

Kimi

MarkB_2
Level 4
Just a heads up on this as we discovered it this week whilst resolving an issue with items remaining as Pending.

In EV7 (think Sp1 -> and also EV2007) and using a vault storage device which does not use the Archive Bit attribute and instead uses the IgnoreArchiveBitTrigger.txt file. Changes to the code now looks at the Created Date property of this file - prior to this it only checked the existence.

The instance we had was after an upgrade from 6 to 7 to 2007. After upgrading, all items remained pending. The text file was being copied as part of the post-backup script. As the code now checks the date stamp (the file was created in 2003 and copied each time) the pending items were never converted to full shortcut. The post-backup script now has to create the text file, thus giving it a new time stamp and the process then looks at this date stamp and the Pending items that were created upto the date stamp of this file, and subsequently backed up, are then reverted to Full Shortcut.

A Technote is being written to give more information and should be available for general use soon.