cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Performing discovery for the first time - how?!

rasobey
Level 5

Hi all,

I need to search several users' archives (Exchange mailbox) for keywords and get the information into a PST for analysis. I've never used EV for discovery before so I've no idea where to start. We're using EV9 and I've no concept of what additional software I might need to install (e.g. discovery accelerator?)

I know I can give myself access to the individual archives and then perform a search, but getting the information out might prove tricky.

Does anyone have any advice?

Many thanks

Richard

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JosephRodgers
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified

1  - Yes.  It was not designed to do what you are trying to do.  That is what DA is for

2. - You should run the search as the VSA (vault service account) and specify the target user's information.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

rasobey
Level 5

Thanks AZC. Is it licenced software or can I install it on any server (including the EV server)?

AmolB

Discovery Accelarator will allow you to perform search on the vault stores which are hosting  archives.

DA will let you perfrom simple or advance search and the results can then be exported to a PST.

DA also has a feature of Legal Hold which prevents user from deleting items from the archives in case of 

a litigation. 

Refer to DA9 Admin Guide

http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC2862

AmolB

DA is licensed, you can install DA on the EV server but its recommended to use a dedicated server 

for DA. You also need to install DA client to access the console and perform search & other tasks.

Custodian Manager feature is included in DA which keeps track of the changes made to the User

Accounts from Active Directory.

JosephRodgers
Level 4

If this is a one time search it is possible to use the /enterprisevault/search.asp?advanced web page.  It can be tedious and time consuming.

1. Grant your account read permissions to the archives you wish to search

2. Set RestoreToPSTOption = All or specific user in the webapp.ini (more info here: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH54559)

3. browse to http://<evserver>/enterprisevault/search.asp?advanced

4. Search for messages and add to basket (this can take a long time if you have many messages)

5. Goto restore option and restore the basket to PST

6. repeat for additional mailboxes.

rasobey
Level 5

Thank you for all your replies. I'm not sure how many times we will need to do this (this is the first time since EV was deployed years ago) so DA may prove to be a waste of money in the long term.

@J. Rodgers - this method is suitable for my needs, but:

1) You can only select upto 50 items at a time to add to as basket (I think that's why you said it might take time?)

2) When I come to actually restore the few items I had as a test, I was asked to enter an Exchange server name and alias, but I can't get it to work ("Incorrect server or mailbox") using all combinations of my dag FQDN, Exchange server name, user name and email alias.

JosephRodgers
Level 4

1  - Yes.  It was not designed to do what you are trying to do.  That is what DA is for

2. - You should run the search as the VSA (vault service account) and specify the target user's information.