cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Physical Space can not be claimed back after deleting users mail box store

Susanna
Level 3
We are using Windows 2003, EV 2007 SP2 for MS Exchange 2003 SP2. When user has left company for some time, we delete user's account and mailbox archive store. However the physical space can not be claimed back, is there a way to get back the space from deleting mailbox store?
8 REPLIES 8

MarkOlsen
Level 4

Hi Susanna:

My understanding is that after an item has been placed into a CAB file by the Collections process, space is not reclaimed unless 95% of the items in a particular CAB file have been deleted (absent a legal hold).  At that point, the Collections process will "uncab" the item and put it into a new CAB file and then delete the original "sparse" CAB file.   I'm told that this 5% threshold is not a settable parameter.

Mark

Susanna
Level 3

Thanks for your prompt reply, Mark! 

Anybody knows where I can find the relevant documentation? I want to know more details.

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited

Hi,

Are you actually using collections?

yes the 95% setting is configurable.  Let me know if you are using collections and then we can go from there.

Susanna
Level 3

Yes, we are using collections. Please guide me how to configure the setting and what is the best practice. This will have a great impact on our storage management. Thanks a lot for your help.

Susanna
Level 3
Hi! Dodo, can you please guide me on this? Thanks.

patrickkuah
Level 6

Yes, there is a reg key for this. Log a support call, they will be able to guide you.

patrickkuah

mkabir
Level 2
anyone knows how to get EV 2007 technical assessment test questions/answers ? it's an online test. Thanks.

Susanna
Level 3
I logged a case. Please see their reply:-

"the space of a CAB file won't be able to claim back even if the owner of some of DVS files has been deleted from Archive till two options are meet:

1. All DVS files in the CAB file belong to users who have been deleted.
2. DVSs have been expired."

We can not meet either of the two conditions, and there is no tool to manually clear the space.