cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Premature Shortcut Deletion

ANDREY_FYODOROV
Level 6

Hi all. We have EV 7 SP1.

We archive mailboxes and retain items for 7 years.

We also archive PSTs and put shortcuts from PSTs into ZZ-PST folder in respective user mailbox.

We also use the Mailbox policy that stipulates to delete shortcuts older than 1 year.

I just got a complaint from a user that just about every shortcut is gone from her ZZ-PST folder structure.

This user only started being archived 6 months ago. So there is no way that the shortcuts would be older than 1 year yet, right?  Yet I found this in the Event log for this user:

Summary for shortcut deletion.

Mailbox: '/o=XXXX/ou=XXXXX/cn=Recipients/cn=XXXXXXX':

Total number of shortcuts found: 18392

Number of expired shortcuts deleted: 0

Number of orphaned shortcuts deleted: 0

Number of old shortcuts deleted: 15969

Total number of shortcuts remaining: 2423

We have recently turned on Storage Expiry on the Site. It is based on Modified date. Seems like an interesting coincidence with the PST shortcut deletion. We have also allowed our retention categories to delete items older than the retention age (they were previously set up to prevent deletion or archived items)

P.S. is shortcut deletion based on the age of the shortcut? or on the age of the message that the shortcut represents?  Until today, I have been convinced that it was based on the actual age of the shortcut (i.e. the archival date). Now I am confused.

Are PST shortcuts treated differently than the Mailbox shortcuts?

2 REPLIES 2

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Andrey

Shortcut deletion is based on the setting you set for storage expiry:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/285077.htm

"The shortcut will be deleted based on whether Modified date or Archived date is selected for Storage Expiry, not because the archived item has been expired."

So, modified date in your case, and that's why it's before 1Year of archiving.

Cheers

Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

ANDREY_FYODOROV
Level 6

Thanks!

Man, this means that we cannot purge items out of the vault based on the retention category AND modified date without also killing the shortcuts like this....  I guess I will turn off the shotcut deletion in the mailbox archiving policies for now - we promised users that their shortcuts would be falling off a year after the archival started.

Now I need to find out the super secret way to bring back all those shortcuts. I wish deleted shortcuts could be repopulated from the vault.