Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prevent caching of ArchiveExplorer.asp

Miyamoto
Level 3
Hello Everyone

This is my first time so be gentle.
I am currently administering a pilot of Evault (V6) that currently has 80 users. We are just about to upgrade to V7 and after a cooling off period, plan to go into live, which will encompass 60,000 mailboxes. It has been decided by the powers that be, that the 24hr refresh of the ArchiveExplorer.asp page is not appropriate and they are suggesting adding 4 lines of code to the page that will prevent it caching at all, so that users always have a current view of the archive. I have my reservations regarding this change and would appreciate your opinions on this course of action.
Thanks in advance for any time given to this post.
11 REPLIES 11

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Hi

That's a tricky one.
The answer you probably don't wanna hear: it depends.
It depends on the number of EV Servers you have, on the storage, and so on.

It will have an impact on the performance for sure.
How about a caching of 2 or 4 hours, that at least subsequent archive explorer access is cached?

Additionally, I'd recommend to open a call at Symantec and hear what they say to this.
60k seats is a lot.

Cheers
Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

jimbo2
Level 6
Partner
I agree with Michel.

80 Users is a simple setup and (1) EV server is a no brainer.

You will be dealing with design issues such as number of indexing servers, separate journal servers if you are journaling, ect

If you have not already done so, you may want to contact Symantec Pro Services.

I do not have any input on the refresh.

Jim S.

Maverik
Level 6
Hello,

Not sure if you are purchasing this from symantec direct but I would recommend if you are, contacting your Symantec account manager and ask for some pre-sales tech support on this, which you should be entitled to and get answers to this and any other queries you may have. 

I have heard of this 24 hour period before (gears in the brain turning) and I am sure you are not the first person to raise it but cannot remember the official line on the bext course of action.

Leave it with me and I will try and get some more information for you when I am back at the office tomorrow.

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
Hi,

The caching is in there for a reason so removing it  could creating significant archive explorer and search related issues as well as possible system stability.

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
Hi,,

oh yeah, and would certainly not be supported.

Miyamoto
Level 3
Hi All

Thanks for the replies they are much appreciated.
The eventual set up in live will consist of six archive servers for mailboxes with two sql servers. These are san attached to Clarion CX700 storage arrays via ED140 McData switches. I had given some thought to the extra network activity to this change, but not the extra journaling or indexing, which I will have to try and get my head around

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Well, Network load will be the smallest of your problems. That's only some KB worth of Text which gets transferred additionally.

As said, the performance impact on EV Servers will be much greater, because the Index has to be queried much more often, as well as the SQL DB.

Cheers
Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

Maverik
Level 6
The Dodo is absoloutly right and that guy knows what he is talking about DO NOT DO IT!!!!!!

Miyamoto
Level 3
Hello All

Thank you all again for your contributions, I reckon I need to document the consequences of the proposed change and present the arguments against it.
Given that extra loads will be placed on the SQL and Indexing servers, does it follow that more load will also be placed on the Exchange servers themselves to synch the folder structures and permissions? It does seem to be a reasonable conclusion!

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
Hi,

Your system won't be supported and could be unstable. It won't cause any additional hits on the Exchange server.

Kopfjager
Level 5
Employee Certified
And remember that users can force a refresh by right clicking in the AE window and telling it to refresh.  If you educate your users that way, they can do it as needed and lessen the chance of causing performance problems.