cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with Enterprise Vault 10.0 and slow network (hotel)

Gunnar_Vinje
Level 3

I have installed Enterprise Vault 10.0 for a customer, and have problems with travelling users with slow speed to the Enterprise Vault server. It a an installation with one MS SQL server and one EV server with the vault on a NTFS disk.

Users are on Outlook 2007, and vault cache is enabled. Vault cache is set to only cache opened items, to reduce the traffic to the user.

The problem for a travelling user is the Oulook locks up, and the user is unable to use Outllok for a long time. Even the PC seems unresponsive. Outlook will start updating sent items, and this will take a long time on a slow line. If the PC is rebooted, the process wil continue from the beginnig.

Is there some configuration I need to change, so these users will be able to use Outlook on slow lines?

Is there a possibility to make EV stop archiving to  vault if the user is on a slow line?

Hope someone can help me with this installation.

Gunnar Vinje

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
There's really not much that can be done from an EV perspective, unless you were to make a far more rigorous archiving policy so that rather than download 170mb of messages you download 5mb of shortcuts etc
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

JesusWept3
Level 6
Well vault cache is really meant for users that work remote a lot (like this scenario) but a headers only configuration doesn't make mch sense, it would make more sense for to be a full cache so you don't need to go to the EV server ever When you say updating the sent items, do you mean the mailboxes sent items or the vaults sent items? To be honest it sounds like a connectivity issue between outlook and exchange and not EV

Gunnar_Vinje
Level 3

Thank you for your reply.

I mean that Oulook is updating sent items to the Exchange server. I will show an image of this here:

JesusWept3
Level 6
There's really not much that can be done from an EV perspective, unless you were to make a far more rigorous archiving policy so that rather than download 170mb of messages you download 5mb of shortcuts etc

LCT
Level 6
Accredited Certified

It looks like it's an exchange sync "issue", at this point it nothing to do with EV at all.

It is possilbe that the user(s) are recreating their Oulook profile and therefore it is re-synch-ing (re-downloading) their entire mailbox?

If they want to speed thing up, either go back to the office or get to a fast broadband in order to speed the exchange downloading.

Gunnar_Vinje
Level 3

This might be the case, but I am not an Exchange expert. I will check with my colleagues how this is set up.

Thanks for you reply.

Gunnar_Vinje
Level 3

I have only created on policy, but I think there should be one for office users, and another for travelling users. And give the travelling users another type of vault cache.

Is it possible to let the user change which policy the user belongs to? Can a user switch to policy Travel from time to time?

LCT
Level 6
Accredited Certified

If you have Vault Cache enabled for the users then I would suggest you temporary disable them first and let the Exchange Cache download to the users laptop first, once that is complete then re-enable Vault cache again. You can either go to the Desktop Policy and then disable them (but this will disable for all users that belong to that provisioning/policy) or you can create a new provisioning/policy and then add the user in to this group.

I don't think you can allow users to change their policies. The whole point of policies is so that  the System Administrators are in control of them so I don't see why EV would allow users to control them.