cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Process or script for setting archive bit

JA_SHAW
Level 2
Anyone have a script or built an executable that can set the archive bit on archived content to identify it as backed up.

We need to set the archive bit for an explicit set of archived content that has been backed up through a process that does not use a standard backup tool such as Netbackup or Legato but through a storage volume replication service. Backup tools backup to offline media from the replica not the original data. So need to selectively mark the original content so that the safety copy process will function. Use of the flag file doesn't work here because it is non-selective.

Appreciate any thoughts.
5 REPLIES 5

Micah_Wyenn
Level 6
ja,
I hesitate to recommend it, but it might be easier to set safety copies over to archive immediately since it seems like you're doing snapshots or replication. I guess it really depends on your exchange and replication environment looks like.

micah

JA_SHAW
Level 2
Thanks Micah for your thoughts.

Unfortunately, the issue is that the status of a "successful backup" is our case is only considered after the replicated data is copied to offline media (ie. tape). So only after the replicated copy is moved to tape do we want to flag the original copy as backed up for safety copy purposes. So it still is the traditional backup process that we want to use to trigger the event but since the backup is not occurring against the original copy the backup tool won't control the setting of the archive bit.

J

Micah_Wyenn
Level 6
whelp,
i've never seen anybody publish a script that would go in and set a particular set of files to the proper a bit...but it seems to me that if you're always replicating a set file tree structure, that you could just create a batch job that does the attrib +A on the filesystems, and then just put that script as an AT job.

Or is it much more complicated then that and I'm over simplfying?

micah

MarkBarefoot
Level 6
Employee
I would agree with Micah, if all you want to do is reset the archive bit then setup a batch job and run the "attrib -a *.* /s" on the folder you want after you have offloaded the files to tape. The /s will do subfolders below it.

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited
My thought would be to use either the trigger file or manually clearly the archive bit with attrib -a *.* /s

More details for both are found in the Administrators guide.