cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Folder Archiving Best Practices

karmakoma
Level 5
Hi,

Does anyone know if there is a public folder archving best practices guide for Enterprise Vault 7.5?

I want to make sure that if you users are moving emails from their mailbox to a public folder that it will be accessible by anyone who has access to that public folder after the item is archived? Is it using the public folder permissions? 
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
No there is no best practice guide that I have seen.

As for your other question, If User A & User B have access to PF1 and User A drags a mail into PF1 and it then gets archived, Yes both User A and User B will be able to view the item, search the item and see it in Archive Explorer.

--wayne

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Maverik
Level 6

Unfortunatley I do not believe there is a best practise guide for Public Folder Archiving.

When you say users are moving emails, do you mean the archived shortuct only? If so then I think you will find that you have issues as the DVS file/SQL will not be updated with you has access to the file and therefore other users apart from the suer who archived it probably will not be able to open it, or see it via search or Archive Explorer.

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
No there is no best practice guide that I have seen.

As for your other question, If User A & User B have access to PF1 and User A drags a mail into PF1 and it then gets archived, Yes both User A and User B will be able to view the item, search the item and see it in Archive Explorer.

--wayne

LanceChase
Level 4
Certified
Wayne is correct, but if user A archives the email in his/her mailbox and then moves the shortcut to the public folder then User B will not be able to open/access the archived content.

UserA would have to restore the item before UserB would be able to open/access it.

--Lance

karmakoma
Level 5
I've been recommended to not archive public folders due to the issue with uses moving archived messages (shortcut stubs) from their mailbox to a public folder. We don't have a very large public folder store so it's not a big issue. I'll run some tests to see how much would get archived to see if it is worth the user training.

If I run the auto-enable for public folders archiving will this apply the permissions at each public folder to the archived public folder?