cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about re-enabling archiving for a deleted mailbox

Andy_Bridgwater
Level 2

Hi,

We use Enterprise Vault to archive emails in our MS Exchange environment. Unfortunately, in a situation of two users having the same name, someone accidentally deleted the Vault of the wrong user. Since then, EV has not archived email for that user. I have queried the ExchangeMailboxEntry table and found that his archive has an MbxArchivingState of 2 (disabled) where it should be 1 for archiving to function.

Is there a standard process for re-enabling archiving for users when their vault is deleted, or am I going to be OK to issue a SQL command to update the value of this field to a 1?

Many thanks for any help.

Andy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

All you need to is what Andy said.  If the user doesn't show in the Enable mailbox wizard you can see if he is listed in the disable mailbox wizard.  You might need to Zap the mailbox and then re-enable and choose to create a new archive for him.

How to remove (zap) Enterprise Vault (EV) properties from archive-enabled Exchange mailboxes

In order to remove EV properties from vault enabled mailboxes , modify the script below to match the particular DirectoryComputerName , SiteName and Mailbox DistinguishedName

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

i would go through the menu in the vault access console and manually enable the mailbox for archiving. you can choose to create a new archive or use an existing one.

TonySterling

You will want to do what Andy has said but I think the big thing is the archive was deleted and just re-enabling isn't going to get the data back.  Do you have backups so you could recover the deleted archive in a lab environment so you could recover the users data?

Andy_Bridgwater
Level 2

Unfortunately we don't have backups with the data on - it was deleted some time ago. This is something I've only just inherited, unfortunately.

Is there perhaps a way I could "trick" EV into creating a new archive for his mailbox?

TonySterling

All you need to is what Andy said.  If the user doesn't show in the Enable mailbox wizard you can see if he is listed in the disable mailbox wizard.  You might need to Zap the mailbox and then re-enable and choose to create a new archive for him.

How to remove (zap) Enterprise Vault (EV) properties from archive-enabled Exchange mailboxes

In order to remove EV properties from vault enabled mailboxes , modify the script below to match the particular DirectoryComputerName , SiteName and Mailbox DistinguishedName