Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reinstall Enterprise Vault 10 on the same server

LukasM
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi!

I need to reinstall the windows server and we have Enterprise Vault on it. What are the steps or best practices to do this. 

Thx for advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
12 REPLIES 12

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

After you re-install the OS follow the steps for a Data-only Recovery for the admin guide.  The steps are also in this TN:

Recovering Enterprise Vault using data-only backups

Article:HOWTO56908  |  Created: 2011-08-01  |  Updated: 2013-07-12  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO56908

Make sure you have backups of EVERYTHING! 

GabeV
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hi LukasM,

You can reinstall Enterprise Vault following the DR procedure. Based on the type of recovery, you con follow one of these procedures:

• Recovering Enterprise Vault using full system backups
  • Recovering Enterprise Vault using data-only backups
  • Recovery of an Enterprise Vault component
  • Recovery of Enterprise Vault in a VCS cluster
  • Recovery of Enterprise Vault in a Windows Server failover cluster

Each one is described in the Enterprise Vault 10 Administrator Guide:

Symantec Enterprise Vault 10.0.4 - Administrator's Guide
http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC6588 (Chapter 28, Page 399)

I hope this helps.

LukasM
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Thx for the answer!

EV server is a virtual machine, and the partition of the index and stores are in the datastore. The SQL are located in another server.

Can I just backup the regestry key and then presents the partitions again (with the same letter). 
Then when I install EV, point to the SQL?

Thx!!

TonySterling

GertjanA
Hello,

"EV server is a virtual machine, and the partition of the index and stores are in the datastore. The SQL are located in another server."
Backup the registry keys, custom messages (in the ..\Enterprise Vault\ folder), and your license.
If possible check site name

Rebuild your server. Use same name.
Make sure the pre-requisites are set.
Run deployment scanner.
Present Partitions.
Install Enterprise Vault. Make sure to be on the exact same level as it was. (SP level and possibly CHF level)
Start the Configuration Wizard. When prompted, select to join Existing site, enter Site name.
off you go
Regards. Gertjan

LukasM
Level 3
Partner Accredited

When I use the configuration wizard, ask me to the Vault Directory. Do I have to use my sql server right? 

ManishN
Level 4
Employee Accredited

Select default i.e. Yes and follow the procedure (Specify your existing SQL server where database resides)  when it will go for creation it will detect that database is already present and will update instead of creation.

LukasM
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Excelent, I think its the same procedure with the site name and computer alias right? I use the old ones.

TonySterling

Yes

LukasM
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Ok, I assume that the archiving task, policies, etc will appear on the administration console.

TonySterling

Yes, that is correct.  That information is contained in the EV Directory Database.

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Way late on this one, but I think you could have used the server settings migration wizard I.e 1. Run the server settings migration wizard and copy the output somewhere safe 2. Reinstall windows 3. Run the powershell scripts to install the pre-reqs (IIS/msmq etc) 4. Install outlook 2007 + SP3 and create a new mail profile 5. Install Enterprise Vault 6. Run the server settings migration wizard and use the output you generated at the beginning
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146