cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove permissions for one group from ALL archives

BernardW
Level 3

Hello All,

Does anyone know a way to remove the permissions from ALL of the archives for one person/group?

I have figured out how to add, deny and Zap using EVPM but these do not do what I want.

What happened

I had set up a script to use with EVPM to add Domain Admins to all archives with read access. Now that we have imported a lot of PST files there are WAY to many items in the list for our daily needs. So now I want to remove that access but I do not want to deny the access since I even if I grant access to the archives in a differennt way the domain admins still will not get access to the archives. At the same time I have granted access to some of the archives already so I don't want to remove/zap all the permissions for everyone.

hopefully there is a good answer to this question.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

BernardW
Level 3

So I ended finding a way to zap just the permissions from files that I wanted to

1. export a list of all the archives from EV (right click and choose "export list")
  2. In excel chop the list to only show the names
  3. Delete all archive names that you do not want to zap the permissions
  4. Add "ArchiveName=" before all the items in the list
  5. Save this file as a text or CSV file
  6. Open the file and copy all the items
  7. Paste the items in a EVPM ini file setup to zap the permissions

This let me controll wich archives got zapped so I did not have to remember the permissions I manually added to particular archives.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Sorry, but no easy answer.  You will need to zap the permissions and then add them back.

Unless you want to manually remove them one at a time and I know you don't want to do that!  :)

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I think you can add a a Deny for one person though, right? against all?

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

yeah, but I think the rub is then that Deny will override the Grant for archives that he does want to see. 

BernardW
Level 3

Thank tony,

That is the answer I was expecting but hoping that it would not be the answer (with over 100 archives created to date).

So I guess the next question would be - can I specify any kind of filter on wich ones to zap?

Most of my archives have a unique 4 digiet code starting them eg 1234 - so can I just filter all the ones that are 12XX ? that would allow me to clear a lot of the permissions while saving some of the permissions I just modified manually?

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

best bet is to create a DL for them and zap based on the DL
But really why dont you just zap and then give the permissions that you do want?

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

BernardW
Level 3

JesusWept2 - how would I create a DL and then zap based on the DL?

I agree I need to Zap the permissions and then grant new permissions to the archives. I just don't really want to zap the permissions of the 20+ archives I granted unique permissions to. So I am hoping to zap the 90% of the archives that just have the incorrect and non unique permissions and then add the correct permissions to all the archives.

Is this possible?

BernardW
Level 3

So I ended finding a way to zap just the permissions from files that I wanted to

1. export a list of all the archives from EV (right click and choose "export list")
  2. In excel chop the list to only show the names
  3. Delete all archive names that you do not want to zap the permissions
  4. Add "ArchiveName=" before all the items in the list
  5. Save this file as a text or CSV file
  6. Open the file and copy all the items
  7. Paste the items in a EVPM ini file setup to zap the permissions

This let me controll wich archives got zapped so I did not have to remember the permissions I manually added to particular archives.