cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rention Policy in Journal

Not applicable

I have a question for the experts about retention. We are talking EV version 8.0 SP4.

When the EV installation was first put online the Journal policy was set to retain everything forever. With experience and practical use in the organsation I have been asked to reduce retention to 1 year for the journal. We currently have 2.5 years retained. I have added the 1 year retention category and allocated some scheduling time to implement it.

What happens now? Does all the old stuff older than 12 months start deleting itself or do I have to change something else to override the old archive rention policy?

If the older stuff still has the older retention policy will I need to do some sql commands to change it or does the new one modify old archives itself?

Any help would be appreciated.

Steve

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
You need to modify the original policy to reflect a one year retention do not add a new one as the new one only applies from the day it is applied forward it is not retroactive 

As well as changing the original retention policy you also need to enable expiry.

You can do a one time run or you can configure expiry as a rolling expiry to run each week that is a business decision you need to make in house.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi Steve,

So right now there is a retention policy for Journaling.  If you open it up the properties for it and change the retention period to be 1 year and run expiry everything older than a year will be deleted from the archive as long as there are not any legal holds.

You wouldn't want to add a new retention policy and and assign that to journaling because if you do only the newly archived items will have the year retention category assigned to it.

Hope that helps.

Tony

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner
In the original implmetation do you have email archiving as well as journal archiving?  This is a key question for determining how to change the retention for your archives.

Did you use different retention categories for them, or did you just use one retention category for all archiving.   Did you use separate Vault Stores for the archiving? 

As Tony stated you could just change the properties of the originally used retention category to 1 year, but if you have also used that retention category for mailbox archiving you would be affecting all of the user archives as well as the journal archives.

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
You need to modify the original policy to reflect a one year retention do not add a new one as the new one only applies from the day it is applied forward it is not retroactive 

As well as changing the original retention policy you also need to enable expiry.

You can do a one time run or you can configure expiry as a rolling expiry to run each week that is a business decision you need to make in house.

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Good point Wes!  If that is indeed the case there are some things you can do, but let's hope it isn't.  :)

Not applicable
Thanks for all the replies. Rather than responding to each of you I can see from the various responses the issues I need to deal with in this installation. I inherited the EV from a previous person who has gone on to do other things and some decisions were not of my making.

So thanks again for the clarity.

Steve

Not applicable

I have realised the significance of all of this. Even though the original installer amde things simple by having one policy for everything what should have happened is havinfg separate policies to provide flexibilty. But we are where we are so now I have to get us to a better position.

Thanks for all the help.

Steve