cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replace items already vaulted with shortcuts

Justin_Iverson
Level 3
When I first implemented Enterprise Vault 7.0, I setup the policy against only my mailbox to ensure that it worked properly. I had the policy set to archive the items in the mailbox, but to leave the original item alone; essentially just making a backup of the email. Due to some issues this caused, I changed the policy to go ahead and create the shortcut rather than just making a copy of it. After doing this, I then applied the policy to the rest of the company and it is working fine.

The problem is that it does not work for my mailbox. The policy is set to archive any items older than 30 days and replace it with a shortcut. When it archives my mailbox, it seems to be just ignoring any item that it sees in the vault. If I select an older email and click on "Store in Vault", the item is archived and replaced with an appropriate shortcut (it sees the e-mail is in the vault and backed up thus not needing to change to a stopwatch).

Is there a way that I can get it to replace these older emails with shortcuts other than manually highlighting the emails and clicking "Store in Vault"? I've tried to manually run the Archiving task against my mailbox and it does not work. I even tried the RestoreShortcuts registry key and running the task in report more on my mailbox; but still no joy.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Justin
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
You could use this key:

HKLM\Software\KVS\Enterprise Vault\Agents
IgnoreEVDates

0 = Off
1 = Ignore Archived date
2 = Ignore Restored date
3 = Ignore both Archived and Restored date

Set it, restart the Tasks, and then do a run now against your mbx. After you are done I would delete or rename the key, just in case. ;)

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

TonySterling
You could use this key:

HKLM\Software\KVS\Enterprise Vault\Agents
IgnoreEVDates

0 = Off
1 = Ignore Archived date
2 = Ignore Restored date
3 = Ignore both Archived and Restored date

Set it, restart the Tasks, and then do a run now against your mbx. After you are done I would delete or rename the key, just in case. ;)

Justin_Iverson
Level 3
Ok, thanks! I've set it to 3 and I'm running the task against my mailbox now. I ran a quick trace on it and it seems that it is only checking to see if it's available for archive. It doesn't appear to be placing shortcuts yet. Is that another stage of the process?

Here is an copy from the trace screen
-----snip----
304 11:01:56.825 (ArchiveTask) <16656> EV:M CArchivingAgent::IsEligibleForArchive() - Ignor
ing archived date on message: Message Subject
305 11:01:56.825 (ArchiveTask) <16656> EV:M CArchivingAgent::IsEligibleForArchive() - Ignor
ing restored date on message: Message Subject
306 11:01:56.825 (ArchiveTask) <16656> EV:L :CArchivingAgent::IsEligibleForArchive(/o=Top Org/ou=First Administrative Group/cn=Recipients/cn=mydomainlogon)
The message titled: Message Subject has the retention category of its
parent folder its value is 1D3387E18F7E59747ADA8CB45801FE1b10000ourdomain.com

307 11:01:56.825 (ArchiveTask) <16656> EV:L :CArchivingAgent::IsEligibleForArchive(/o=Top Org ou=First Administrative Group/cn=Recipients/cn=mydomainlogon)
The message titled: Message Subject is eligible for archive

308 11:01:56.825 (ArchiveTask) <16656> EV:H :CArchivingAgent::IsEligibleForArchive()
Exiting routine
-----snip-----

Let me know if you can decipher this.

Justin_Iverson
Level 3
Well, I appeared to have replied too soon. Apparently, there is a delay in the message being marked as "eligible" and the time it takes to actually archive the item. It just goes to show you that patience is a virtue! This appears to have corrected my issue as I'm seeing items being replaced with shortcuts as I type this, which was not happening before.

Thanks for your help with this! I'll have to use this forum more often. :)

TonySterling
Glad to hear that has helped. I would recommend to disable the reg key, just in case someone restores some items on purpose. If the key is still active those items will be re-archived and cause helpdesk call. :)

koray_alkan
Level 4
Partner Certified
Hi Tony,

Is the value "IgnoreEVDates"  DWORD?

Regards

Koray

Brian_Day
Level 6
Hi Tony, two questions from reading this thread.

1. Are manually restored items not archived again the next night? I forget, archiving is based off of the modified date and not the original received/send/whatever date. Is that correct?

2. Could I use that reg key to go back and "rearchive" my pilot group's calendars now that we enabled the strip calendar attachment option in their policy?

Thanks!

TonySterling
Hey Guys,
Yes that is a DWORD.

Manually restored items will not be archived until they become age eligible.  Example, you are archiving everything older than 30 days.  User A restores an email.  30 days after the Restore Date the item is then turned back into a shortcut.  Reason being, if a user restores it we figure they are going to be working with it for a while and don't want it archived right away.

I think what you would have to do for the calendar is use the Export to Mailbox option to export all the items in the calendar back into the mailbox, that should give those items a restore date.  Then set the key and run archiving against them.  I think that will work, but I have never tested.  ;)

In the Vault Admin Console right click on the archives folder and choose Export.  Work through the wizard and you will see an option to restore all items from a specified location I believe.