cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Report suggest SIS is used, vaults say no....

Kellino
Level 4

Dumb newbie question probably but I can't reconcile this none the less.

I'm looking at an EV9 environment I inherited and on each store partition the following options are NOT checked:

• Device performs data deduplication
  • Device performs data compression

All the stores are configured this way.  Being a newbie, my initial intepretation is that SIS is not turned on.  However.....

If I select the vault store group and right click it, the top 2 options are to run SIS reports from that context.  Looking at either of these reports shows me detailed stats including how much space has been saved by using SIS and/or compression.

In other words the reports suggest to me that SIS & compression are being used, but I can't find a single volume/partition that has the SIS & compression options enabled.

Where did I go astray? :)   Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi Kellino,

You're looking in the wrong place. The settings you described are only used if you use a device for storage that does de-duplication by itself (Centera/DataDomain etc)

What you need to check is the following:

Expand the console until you see the Vault Store Groups

Click o 1 of the gorups in the left. In the right pane, you will see the Vault Stores being in a group. If you check, it will show there (scroll if needed!) what the sharing is.

Additionally, if you have access to you SQL server, check in the SQL-manager for databases called EVVSGxxxx where xxxx is the name of the vaultstoregroup.

Additionally, rightclick a VSG in the console, and select properties. There is something about sharing there too.

Last, click HELP, and start reading ;)

GJ

Regards. Gertjan

Kellino
Level 4

Oh I've been doing a lot of reading and not just help files :)

The device options being HW specific makes sense and I also understand the sharing concept as well.

So if those radio buttons are irrelevant as we are not using dedupe storage hardware, where does one go to see where SIS/Compresion are turned on?  Sharing is just a boundary definition and does not reveal any SIS/compression on/off settings as far as I know.

Thanks

MarkBarefoot
Level 6
Employee

This may help http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO31895

Kellino
Level 4

Let me explain where I am comfing from which may help somewhat.  I recieved this project a few weeks ago but previously was led by someone else.

Last year Symantec produced a design document for us based on EV 8.0 and input from some of out staff (which did not include me at the time).  In that document it explicitly states that the settings for compression and SIS would be DISABLED for the entire environment.  Now I don't agree with this, but my first step of course was to assess the current state.

I understand that sharing is a boundary for the scope of SIS and that you can turn off sharing WITHIN a vault store which in a sense could be a way to turn it off, but based on the EV 8 blueprint that we recieved last year, I was under the impression that there was a place where SIS/compression could be explicitly enabled or disabled.  I recieved this project a few weeks ago and it was EV 9 at the time.  Perhaps in EV9 there is no longer a place to globally enable/disable compression/SIS and it is now on globally as a default?   The EV9 docs talk about it extensively and mention that it is a default, but since this is an EV 8 enviroment that was upgraded to EV9, and also based on the documentation I mentioned -- I wanted to verify that it was really on and was under the impression that there was a specific place (besides share scope) where this was configured (not just SIS but compression as well).  Thanks!