cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore problems with EV8.0 Sp1 and Exchange 2007

sandrine_goetha
Level 6
 Hello,
We are in the pilot phase of the Exchange 2007 migration.
We are moving from Exchange 2003 and have EV 8 SP1 installed.
I currently have 4 EV servers in w2K3 SP2 for the archiving of Exchange 2003 and 1 W2K8 SP1 for the archiving of Exchange 2007.
After we migrated the mailboxes on Exchange 2007 , the users wanted to make a restore of their archive( which are still in the old vault store) in their mailbox but unfortunately it didn't work and there was no warning for them.
I ran a DTrace of the restore and I could find this error in the log
 [2872] (ShoppingService) <8164> EV~E Event ID: 5121 Couldn't create a ExchangeArchivingAgentQueue| |Interface: IRestorationAgent| |Error: 0x800706ba| |Computer: vaultserver01.ethz.ch |
Where vaultserver01.ethz.ch is the alias of my EV server ( w2K8 Sp1 64 bits)
When I try to make the restore into a PST file it works without problem.

Could you help me to identify the problem and solve it.
thanks a lot Sandrine

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sandrine_goetha
Level 6
 I got this answer fron Symantec , so I thought I post it as it could help other users.

In Windows Server 2008, Windows Firewall is enabled by default. This prevents Distributed COM (DCOM) from working and therefore, because Enterprise Vault requires DCOM, you must either turn off Windows Firewall or configure it appropriately.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Hello Sandrine,

You write that the restore of the aarchive is from a user that is moved to Exch2007, but whose archive is still on the old vaultserver. You are archiving the exch2007 on the new vaultserver. Does the moved user have 1 archive, or 2? (check in the vaultconsole). Is the archive still on the old server?

I suspect a permission problem. Remember that on w2k8 the firewall is ON by default, so it might be there.
Anything in the eventlogs on the w2k8 server?
Did you set the 'syncinmigrationmode' registry key?
Do you see a queue on the w2k8 machine looking like the mentioned queue.
Did you define a shopping/cache location?

Gertjan.

ps. I'm not running 8.0 yet. Hope to be able to do so by the end of next week in testenvironment, live in september.
Regards. Gertjan

sandrine_goetha
Level 6
 Hello Gertjan,
Thanks for your questions.
Does the moved user have 1 archive, or 2?   1
Anything in the event logs on the w2k8 server? No
Did you set the 'syncinmigrationmode' registry key? No
Do you see a queue on the w2k8 machine looking like the mentioned queue ? I just the the normal queues like on all my others Ev servers but the EV Spool queue is missing.
Did you define a shopping/cache location? Of course.
In addition I can say you that as recommended in the install guide the firewall as the port 135 UTP and TCP open. And the server was installed buy a Symantec Partner.
Sorry if my answer are not really helping but I'm really lost on that one .
Thanks anyway for your help.
Sandrine

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
OK, that's strange.

As a test, is there any chance that you can setup a new Test Mailbox on the Exchange 2007, enable it in EV, archive some messages, and try the same restore?

I suspect the following:
- Error Code: 0x800706ba is usually "RPC Server not available"
- As restores to PST work, I suspect that EV wants to write a message into the remote Message queue from the Original Server, to command the "New" EV Server, where the archive is located, to restore the item into the user's mailbox

This could be because of blocked ports.

This Article backs this theory (same error code, other situation):
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/290438.htm

I think you should concentrate on this:
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/307238.htm

Especially Port 2105 RPC for MSMQ.
As a first test, could you disable Windows 2008's own Firewall for some minutes and try again?

If that does not work, I suggest you ask the Firewall Team if they could log the traffic, and see which ports are blocked and accessed during restore.
(If you have Firewall's between your EV Servers)

Hope that helps

Regards
Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

sandrine_goetha
Level 6
Thanks a lot for you help, it guided me toward the right direction,
I disabled the firewall on EV ( EV server for Exchange 2007) and it worked.
Now I just have to find out which port should be open.
Sandrine 

sandrine_goetha
Level 6
 I got this answer fron Symantec , so I thought I post it as it could help other users.

In Windows Server 2008, Windows Firewall is enabled by default. This prevents Distributed COM (DCOM) from working and therefore, because Enterprise Vault requires DCOM, you must either turn off Windows Firewall or configure it appropriately.