cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring only the Archived Files that have placeholders

Mike_P
Level 4
Hello,

Fsautility restores archived files but restores everything in the directory you select. I need to only recall files that still have placeholders left.

I've read a lot about using old backup programs or old virus scanners to recall the files. I haven't found one that will work, and my current virus scanner will not recall the files (Too new?). I use Symantec Antivius.

Does anyone know of a for-sure scanner or program that will cause all the placeholders to be recalled?

That would really help me out.

Thanks a lot!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
You should just need to restart the placeholder service if anything.

Also, what version are you?  Seems you might have to mis-spell it...;)

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/320624.htm

BypassRecallLimitsForAdmins will not work when using the correct spelling

Details:
In the registry guide the registry key BypassRecallLimitsForAdmins is documented with two Ls in Recall but the Enterprise Vault code is actually looking for Recall with one L.

Workaround:
When creating the registry key create it with one L.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\KVS\Enterprise Vault\FSA\PlaceholderService\BypassRecalLimitsForAdmins

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

TonySterling
Have you seen this technote>

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/284460.htm

be sure to set the bypass for recall limits

1. Set the BypassRecallLimitsForAdmins registry entry so that multiple file recalls do not exceed the recall limits:
a. If the file server is a NetApp device, start the Administration Console, open the properties of the file server and select Ignore recall limits for local administrators.
b. For other file servers, create a DWORD entry called BypassRecallLimitsForAdmins under the following registry key: on the file server that runs the Placeholder service:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
\SOFTWARE
\KVS
\Enterprise Vault
\FSA
\PlaceholderService
c. Give BypassRecallLimitsForAdmins a value of 1 to enable local administrator accounts to bypass the recall limits.

Mike_P
Level 4
Tony, thanks so much. I used the searching method and it did recall files! However it only recalled 20 per search. I did make the registry change on the file server (basic win2k3 standard box). Added DWORD "BypassRecallLimitsForAdmins" and changed it to a value of 1. Do you think I need to restart the file server for this to take affect? Right now i've extensively tested and it's always exactly 20 recalls per search, probably the maximum recall limit you were talking about.

I am using a domain admin account, which is a member of the loca admin group on the file server.

Thanks!

TonySterling
You should just need to restart the placeholder service if anything.

Also, what version are you?  Seems you might have to mis-spell it...;)

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/320624.htm

BypassRecallLimitsForAdmins will not work when using the correct spelling

Details:
In the registry guide the registry key BypassRecallLimitsForAdmins is documented with two Ls in Recall but the Enterprise Vault code is actually looking for Recall with one L.

Workaround:
When creating the registry key create it with one L.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\KVS\Enterprise Vault\FSA\PlaceholderService\BypassRecalLimitsForAdmins

Mike_P
Level 4
Yes! It worked like a charm! The last test I ran recalled all 49 excel files in a folder. Thank you so much. One problem I'm still having is for items that aren't Microsoft Office documents. It seems like the search utility will search through office files, but will bypass other files. I had a folder full of .pcr files and it just skipped right over them. I can imagine why this would happen. Do you have any recommendations for files that can't be recalled using the search method (files that aren't searchable by using the "A word or phrase in the file" search option"?) Thanks!

TonySterling
Let me have a think on that.

Meantime you may want to set this key as well:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\KVS\Enterprise Vault\FSA\PlaceholderService\
RevertItemsToPlaceholders DWORD value of 0

TonySterling
i just did a test on my laptop and left filename blank and just chose dates going back to 2001 and the search kicked off.

You could try that.

Mike_P
Level 4
Thanks Tony,

I made the registry change.

I tried the "Specify Dates" option to 2001 and I get the search results but none of the files recalled. This happens on regular docs too. Searching with the "Specify Dates" option doesn't seem to recall the files on my server.

Do you think there's anything else worth trying?

Thanks for your continuing help!

TonySterling
Now that I think about it the fact that doesn't recall the item makes sense because it doesn't need to look inside the document for anything.  :)

Mike_P
Level 4
Ya that makes sense. I guess I'm stuck trying to find a virus scanner from 1999 that will open all the files as it scans them...lol.