cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S/MIME corruption, anyone?

EDU
Level 4
Has anyone else experienced problems restoring signed/encrypted messages to Exchange mailboxes?

We occasionally run across S/MIME signed emails that can't be restored because the smime.p7s or smime.p7m attachment is missing or corrupt.

They can be previewed or restored to a .PST, but can't be restored directly to an Exchange mailbox.

-Ethan
6 REPLIES 6

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
 Never see any issues like this before but just a question on it

Does the user / server still have the certificate installed ? Maybe that could be causing the issue

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Ethan

Has this anything to do with your other post:
https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/2270-and-2227-errors-when-restoring-p7s-attachments
?

I think it's time for a case @ SYMC... :)
Experience with S/MIME is probably not that big in the forums.

Cheers

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

EDU
Level 4
Yes, this is related to my other post. It's been a problem for quite awhile, and I figured I would post it as a succint question.

Definitely not related to certificate validity, since a restored message with an expired (or otherwise invalid) certificate is still a properly-formatted message as far as Exchange is concerned.

I opened cases with Symantec, but they were closed without resolution.

There have to be others who have run across this, so I'm going to keep throwing it out there every now and then in the hopes of encountering someone else who's seen it.

Regards,
Ethan

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
 if they are closing cases without resolution then you, your account rep and a baseball bat need to have a conversation

BTW i say baseball bat in jest please don't go clobber your account rep

EDU
Level 4
There was a lot of back-and-forth on it, but eventually after escalating it as high as it could go, we were told that there really wasn't anything that could be done about it.

-Ethan

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
 Ethan,

I have one case with Symantec that has been opened for 500 days so far and it is on the top of the list every time they do their monthly reports to senior management and goes all the way to CEO level reports.

It took Symantec 6 months to admit the dropped the ball on the issue. They finally have created a fix for the issue which we are working on implementing. So far we have worked 4 weeks implementing the fix but we estimate 7 - 12 months to rebuild the indexes to fully correct the issue. Until I get 100% resolution the case wont be closed