Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIS Rate for FSA with version 9?

Mark_Shoger
Level 4
Employee

Hi all,

Quick question - but I can't find it online.

We're scanning our NetApp volumes for determine how much data we'll be able to archive off once FSA is turned on. We get a raw number back for space savings, but I'm trying to project storage. Is there a good "expected" ratio we can shoot for for FSA to calculate storage?

Thanks,

Mark

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Darren_Locke
Level 6
Employee

There are so many variables involved here. I would typically assume a 50% reduction made up of compression and deduplication. This has been shown at a number of customers, but your mileage will vary. Could be better could be worse based on the data sets.

Darren

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I think you'll have an easier time figuring out how long a piece of string is

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Darren_Locke
Level 6
Employee

There are so many variables involved here. I would typically assume a 50% reduction made up of compression and deduplication. This has been shown at a number of customers, but your mileage will vary. Could be better could be worse based on the data sets.

Darren

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner
The FileServerAnalyzer tool can give you a fairly good idea of the duplicate files. Be prepared though, it takes a while to run. Baring that, it's really a very unique ratio and nearly impossible to predict with any realistic expectation. Even different file servers/appliances in the same environment can have wildly different ratios.