Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SchemaType - ItemGranularity

dimav7
Level 2
Certified
Hello,

As per indexing best practice guide and http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/286796.htm

Symantec recommends ItemGranularity schema , by setting SchemaType=1. My question is let's say rebuilding current indexes is not an option right now, so if the Schema is changed from default to ItemGranularity, can going forward rolled over and newly created indexes utilize new Schema, while olde indexes use the old schema, or do all indexes need to be rebuilt ?

Example: journal archive has 3 index volumes, index3 is a new rollover which happened few days after SchemaType was changed.

index1 default schema
index2 default schema
index3 ItemGranularity Schema

Will this work  or will it eventually be problematic where index1 and index2 will have to be rebuilt? I am concerned about CA searches running against large indexes with diff schema type. Please let me know if this scenario is safe

Thank You

dimav
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
Hi,

yes that is fine.  In face for quite some time now, the default for any indexes related to journal archived have automatically been created with schema type=1(even if you don't set the registry key)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
Hi,

yes that is fine.  In face for quite some time now, the default for any indexes related to journal archived have automatically been created with schema type=1(even if you don't set the registry key)

dimav7
Level 2
Certified

Thanks EV Director,

Do you know what version had SchemaType as 1 by default? The client is running EV 2007 SP2

Please let me know,

Thank You much

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
This from the updates.htm for ev 2007 sp2

"Indexing improvements [Ref 752010, 752011, 752012]
The following improvements have been made to Enterprise Vault indexing:

The default maximum size of Enterprise Vault archive index volumes is now reduced to improve efficiency and reliability.
Exchange and Domino journal archives now use the item granularity schema as the default for archive indexing. This improves performance and memory use for Compliance Accelerator and Discovery Accelerator queries.

The Indexing service now automatically attempts to reset indexes that are flagged as failed. The service does this on startup and at a default interval of six hours. The interval is determined by the registry DWORD value RetryFailedIndexVolumesIntervalHours under this registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software \KVS \EnterpriseVault \Indexing
Indexes that cannot be reset continue to appear in Windows event logs.

"

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Some of us need to rebuild the indexes because of EV, DA performance issues and Mike I think the rebuild of indexes without taking the old index offline until the new one is rebuilt needs to be added to the plan for Casablanka