cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set FSA Vault Store/Partition on an Archive Point

DPJayJay
Level 3

Hi All

We have just started to roll out EV9 across a number of file servers, with a requirement that we use FSA to help categorise data into its constituent business units using multiple Vault Stores/Partitions.

As an example, we currently have a single share  \\FileServer\data$ which everyone maps to, but then NTFS permissions apply to folders below to set the level of access users have.

I have created an FSA Volume to the \\FileServer\data$ share, but this is the only point I can set a Vault Store, where the data in folders beneath this volume needs to be split into different Vault Stores, which I hoped to do by Folder policies or archive points.

But, we can't!!

Without changing the underlying file system (ie by creating hidden shares to every Vault Store Archive Point), is there a way of setting individual Vault Stores/Partitions to Archive Points.

I have toyed with creating Secondary shares on \\FileServer\Data$ (so having \\FileServer\FSAPtn1$ and \\FileServer\FSAPtn2$ mapped to the same root folder), but then the archivepoints set beneath are folder specific, not volume policy specific, so an archive point appears under all shares.

This is also a major issue with User Home Drives, as all users map to a single Home$ share, then access their SAMAccountName folder beneath, yet these users belong to different business units, so they all get archived into a single Vault Store!

I am at a loss on how this can be configured, and makes EV a deal breaker in our environment.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JosephRodgers
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified

When you created your '\' root folder you could have selected the "Auto-enable archive points for subfolders of folder <folder>.  Archives will be created for new and existing subfolders."

This option would then create archives for each 1st level subfolder.  This works great for creating archives per user

eg:

\\server\hiddenshare$

.\user1

.\user2

.\userX

Create Volume as \\server\hiddenshare$

Create Folder as '\' and assign the setting I described above.

Each .\UserX will be its own archive point\archive.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

JosephRodgers
Level 4

When you created your '\' root folder you could have selected the "Auto-enable archive points for subfolders of folder <folder>.  Archives will be created for new and existing subfolders."

This option would then create archives for each 1st level subfolder.  This works great for creating archives per user

eg:

\\server\hiddenshare$

.\user1

.\user2

.\userX

Create Volume as \\server\hiddenshare$

Create Folder as '\' and assign the setting I described above.

Each .\UserX will be its own archive point\archive.

Liam_Finn1
Level 6

I agree with J.Rodgers

Recreate so you use Auto-Enable archive points for sub floders and then set the appropiate policies to each of them so they are manages under different policies and if necessary different retention catagories

DPJayJay
Level 3

We would need to set each new archive point (whether auto-enabled or manual with archivepoints.exe) to go to a different partition, ie, for home folders, users in one business unit are sent to one vault store, users in another business unit to another vault store etc etc.

It seems you can only set the Vault Store at the Volume level, not at the Folder or Archive Point level.