cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shortcut Deletion Question

jbuerger
Level 2
When shortcuts are set to delete after 2 years how is that tagged. Is it 2 years from when the item is archived or the actual date of the email? I have asked this question of my Symantec Engineer and they still have not provided me an answer.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Shortcut deletion is based on the age of the shortcut not the date of the message.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

TonySterling

Shortcut deletion is based on the age of the shortcut not the date of the message.

MarkBarefoot
Level 6
Employee
I can't find anything definitive, but I would suggest it was when the item was fully processed, and the message class changed to IPM.NOTE.ENTERPRISEVAULT.SHORTCUT and use that date to calculate the deletion

LukeMih
Level 3

I only have experience with enterprise vault for domino.  Not sure how much this applies to this situation.

My experience has shown its based on the selected option called Base Expiry on: under the retention category properties.  If its set for modified date is is the last time the message was modified or received.  The archived item is deleted on the first round of storage expiry processes to run when the retention category expiry is reached, and then the shortcut is deleted the next time the mailbox archiving task runs against the database containing the now orphaned shortcut.

Couple of things I ran into, if it helps.  If this is a newly created retention category, and you have already archived items under a different retention category, you may have to restore and then rearchive applying the new retention category because I haven't a clue how to change an archived item's retention category.  Also, you have to have the policy set to delete orphaned shortcuts.

TonySterling

Hi Luke,

Yeah, it is a bit different for Domino than Exchange.  the details for Domino are here:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO37855

Cheers,

KarlW
Level 6
Employee

I've had to answer this a couple to times recently.  Luke is correct in that the expiry date basis is taken from the retention category (which might generally set to inherit from the site).

This is consistent for both Exchange and Domino age based shortcut deletion.

Thanks

Karl