cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Since new Partition was created, mail is not being archived

kirkside
Level 3

I am still fairly new to EV and am hoping that someone can help or guide me in the right direction on my problem. I am running EV 2007 on Windows Server 2003.

To reduce backups, we allow the partition to grow to a certain size, then create a new one and close off the old. We have 1 Vault store and 3 partitions. Back in July we closed the 2nd partition and created the third. Since this time though, archiving seems to have stopped. We can still access previously archived items. We have the 'Archive to Vault' button hidden so cannot test with that (although I am sure we could if really needed).

Looking at the Event Viewer EV logs, the following have appeared since the beginning of June:

Event id: 6181
Error sending saveset to Storage Server
Check Event Log for previous errors

Event id: 6222
Storage Service stopped

Event id: 6221
Storage Service stopped

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Hi

Yes, this is the issue you are seeing.

From the "Help" Button:

"Archive mailboxes in this provisioning group. Select this to make Enterprise Vault archive from mailboxes that are part of this provisioning group. Clear this to turn off archiving from mailboxes in this provisioning group."

(Mailboxes which are not enabled for archiving will not get automatically enabled with this setting)

Cheers
Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

MichelZ
Level 6
Well...
Have you rebootet the server?
Is the Storage Service and all other services running?
On what storage is the partition located? (local, cifs, iscsi, other?)

Cheers

kirkside
Level 3
Thank you for your quick response.

Server was rebooted 6 days ago.
All of the services are running. They were restarted earlier today.
The storage is located on local disks.
The SQL server is separate. The EV VaultStoreEntry table has the PartitionRootPath added in it.

MichelZ
Level 6
What happens when you now do a manual "Run Now" on the Archiving Task?
(There should be eventlog entries)

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Hello,

Did you create the partition using the Vault Service Account?
I found that this then sets the proper permissions on it.

Can you (as logged in as VSA) create a txt file in the named partition?
Can you verify the partition in the Vault console references the correct name?
Other errors in application and system eventlog?

Gertjan
Regards. Gertjan

kirkside
Level 3
I created the partition from within the Vault Console using the Vault Service Account.
The permissions of the folder matches that of the previous partitions.
I have successfully created a txt file in the new partition.
I have verified that Vault references the correct name.
As it happens, I have just noticed the below error from earlier today when I enabled a user. No other errors that I can see.

Error whilst enabling mailbox for user /O=company/OU=domain/cn=Recipients/cn=user, error sending enabled message.

Possible Reason:

The message file could not be found.

Please refer to 'Editing the Welcome Message' in the Administration Help for more information on editing and copying the enabled message file.

MichelZ
Level 6
This message can safely be ignored.
It just means that you have not yet configured the Welcome Message.

Did you try a "Run Now" and see what happens?

Cheers

kirkside
Level 3
I just ran a "Run Now" on my own mailbox and I received a successful message. Looks like below

The Exchange Mailbox Task on 'SERVERNAME' has started processing .........

Processing all items from each of 1 mailboxes in normal mode.

Processing successfully launched for:
=========================
Name

Processing failed to launch:
=========================
None

kirkside
Level 3
Does anyone have any more thoughts on this? It is as if the partition has been set to Open, but EV see's it as closed. At the same time not giving any errors about it.

GertjanA
Hello Kirkside,

If you run the archiving task in report mode, does it show anything to be archived?

If so, check to see if in the registry EV is not set to ReadOnly. (HKLM\Software\KVS\EnterpriseVault\Storage, the keys starting with enable need to be 1 to be in read/write)

If this is the case, I advise to run a dtrace of the archiving task. There might be some obvious issue that is missed.

If needed call support. They can asses quickly what the problem is.

Good luck.
Regards. Gertjan

kirkside
Level 3
I would like to start by thanking everyone for there responses so far. As I stated at the beginning of this, I am new to EV as it was handed to me when my colleague left. I have a question though about Provisioning Groups.

We have 3 Exchange servers as targets and 1 Provisioning Group setup. The group is setup to use the Default Mailbox policy and the Default PST policy. We have not enabled the option to 'Automatically enable mailboxes' as we do not want all users to have their mailboxes archived. We enable users manually when needed. So, that is the background of this setting. Now to the query. There is a tick box on the General tab that states the following 'Archive mailboxes in this provisioning group'. This is currently unticked. Could this be why enabled users are not having their mailboxes archived? I do not want any mailboxes to suddenley become archived as I need to manually enable them which is why I have not just jumped in and enabled it.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

kirkside
Level 3
Which might also explain the below message in the Trace log when trying to archive 1 mailbox manually.

CArchivingAgent::ProcessUserEx - Provisioning group disabled, skipping mailbox

MichelZ
Level 6
Hi

Yes, this is the issue you are seeing.

From the "Help" Button:

"Archive mailboxes in this provisioning group. Select this to make Enterprise Vault archive from mailboxes that are part of this provisioning group. Clear this to turn off archiving from mailboxes in this provisioning group."

(Mailboxes which are not enabled for archiving will not get automatically enabled with this setting)

Cheers
Michel

kirkside
Level 3
OK. I have enabled it and run some tasks and there are now folders appearing in the vault folder!! Thank you for your answers to my questions. I have learnt a load from doing this. Thanks again.

GertjanA

Hi Kirkside,

Can you mark the entry that resolves the issue as a solution?

Thanks.

Regards. Gertjan

kirkside
Level 3
Sorry, forgot. Done.