Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some Enterprise Vault tips

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
Hi,

I thought you may be interested in some EV related tips.

1. If you want to read the EV event log properly (ie the messages in the event log translate correctly) do the following
On the EV server you'll find a file VaultMessages.DLL.  Copy that onto the PC you want to view the events from and then from DOS do
regsvr32 <location of file on pc>VaultMessages.dll

Now from your PC you can open the Enterprise Event Log on the server and the events will look correct.

2. I've found a tool I really like to view event logs.  It's called www.eventlogxp.  It used to be free but I think they charge a little now.  It's still superb value and an excellent tool.

3. Since V7.0 there is a much better way to enable dtrace.  In Admin console, select the Tools menu option and select 'Advance Features'  Now when you goto the computer section in the console, you'll see services, task and trace.  From the trace section you can then turn on logging.  You specify the type of issue you are encountering and EV will choose the components to trace based upon that.

3 REPLIES 3

Brian_Day
Level 6
Good tips, Dodo, thanks. :) For Dtrace through the gui is there any way to pick items a'la carte instead of the available choices presently in EV2007 or should we continue using the CLI version of dtrace for that kind of work?

Thanks.

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
Hi,

If you look in the enterprise vault directory you'll see a folder called something like scripts for dtrace(i can't remember exact name).  All the GUI is driven from that.  For the exact reason that you state.  So in theory you/EV Support could extend the initial set.

So if you are smart for example you could use dtrace filters which are sometimes a nice way of seeing how far processing has gotten etc etc.

Brian_Day
Level 6
Great!

@The Dodo wrote:
So if you are smart ....

Boy that might be a problem. :D

Message Edited by Brian Day on 10-02-2007 01:46 PM