Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storage Online event 6940 - client request refused

Sarah_Seftel1
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi there,

I have an ev environment with over 40,000 active users.

As there are many users there are also many 6940 events per day.

Is there any option of not presenting those events (like the option to set to "off" the - warn if default or anonymous permission exist.

Any ideas if there is a way of doing that?

Sarah

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hey ya Sarah,

This technote says:

2.  To ignore these events, turn on the "Include default and anonymous permissions" in the "Advanced" tab of the Mailbox Archive Policy.  The mailboxes affected must be synchronized to place this setting into effect.

I am not sure if that is the route I would go as there maybe some unintended consequences. 

Event ID 6940: "Client request refused due to insufficient privileges" is recorded in the Enterprise Vault Event Viewer log.

Article:TECH73274  |  Created: 2009-01-07  |  Updated: 2011-08-16  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH73274

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

TonySterling

Hey ya Sarah,

This technote says:

2.  To ignore these events, turn on the "Include default and anonymous permissions" in the "Advanced" tab of the Mailbox Archive Policy.  The mailboxes affected must be synchronized to place this setting into effect.

I am not sure if that is the route I would go as there maybe some unintended consequences. 

Event ID 6940: "Client request refused due to insufficient privileges" is recorded in the Enterprise Vault Event Viewer log.

Article:TECH73274  |  Created: 2009-01-07  |  Updated: 2011-08-16  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH73274

Fiona
Level 4
Certified

FYI: II made this change some time ago and it caused "some unintended consequences"  which I cannot remember now, and I had to revert the change, so proceed with caution.

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I wouldn't turn on Default and anonymous permissions, I can't even for the life of me see how that would actually resolve the issue.

The first consequence you will see is that your Directory database size will absolutely explode
Typically Default and Anonymous permissions are set on every single mailbox, so we're no longer taking just the owner and any delegates, but now we're taking two perms per mailbox across

The real solution would be that if the customer wants users to read other users shortcuts they should learn to forward the actual message as opposed to the users shortcut, OR if they are connecting to someone elses mailbox, folder permissions and delegate permissions should be properly synchronized

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Fiona
Level 4
Certified

I made this change when I was still learning EV and had logged a call with Support and they advised to change, the TechNote goes into no detail on any consequences...

My moral of the story: Don't always follow the TechNotes/support advice without fully understanding what the change will do.

TonySterling

I agree with Alex! The best thing is to train the end users on the proper way to forward item.  Maybe that TN should be flagged.