cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange EV service restart issue

BruceCrankshaw1
Level 3

Hi All

I am experiencing a very unusual issue on one EV server at a customer and I would appreciate some feedback

When we stop the EV services the Admin Service and the Directory service keep automatically restarting. I have confirmed its not because of  the Recovery Tab on these services and their are  no obvious Event Viewer updates that explain why this is happening. The services stop correctly but then restart after about 10 seconds

There is also no third party software monitoring the services. Has anyone seen anything like this before and what  could cause this?

6 REPLIES 6

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi Bruce,

Any SCOM monitoring going on?

Regards. Gertjan

BruceCrankshaw1
Level 3

Hi Gert

Nice to chat again 

I checked for that but no its not configured, its the first time I have seen this?

BruceCrankshaw1
Level 3

What would be effective Dtrace counters to understand this issue ?

GertjanA

tbh, I have seen it before, but cannot recall what caused it (or how I fixed it)

I believe I ran process monitor, then stopped service, then tried to see what started it. It turned out to be something called n-able I believe.

Regards. Gertjan

GertjanA

Hi Bruce,

You might be able to run a dtrace with a trigger (search the KB for that).

I would define the trigger to start when the event which is logged is for service stop. Anything after that might give a hint what is doing the restart... As for the dependencies, I have a vague (...) recollection that it had something to do with the net tcp or one of those services.. these were required for an earlier version of EV, I believe 11, not sure. 

I would check each of those services, to see 'dependencies', and possibly find something there which starts the ev service again.

Regards. Gertjan

CConsult
Partner    VIP   

have you also looked into the event logs? Are there any OS partitions that are almost full (like a swap partition?)

EV checks if any partition is full and stops the services, if one partition has to low free space.

you can also disable this setting.