cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Summary shows messages in R1 MSMQ, but expanding the queue reveals no items

stullier
Level 4

Recently had an issue where there were a number of items "stuck" on the R1 and R2 queues for a particular Exchange Server, along with Event ID 2216.  After a reboot of the EV server, the 2216 event errors stopped and we received some 2270 event errors.  The R2 queue for this server is back to 0, however the R1 queue shows (in the MSMQ summary when clicking on private queues) 4 messages are in the queue.  When I expand that particular queue, there are no messages listed in either Queue messages or Journal messages.

Environment:

Enterprise Vault 9.0.5 on Windows Server 2003 SP2

Exchange 2007 on Windows Server 2008 SP1

This is only happening on one of the 4 exchange servers.

No recent changes have been made.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

The wonders of MSMQ.

What I do in a case like this? Stop the services of EV, then purge the MSMQ, restart MSMQ, start EV services. Most of the time that helps. Make sure that MSQ storage is not scanned by an antivirus product, and that the storage limit is sufficient (I add a 0 to the default value, that makes 10GB)

Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

The wonders of MSMQ.

What I do in a case like this? Stop the services of EV, then purge the MSMQ, restart MSMQ, start EV services. Most of the time that helps. Make sure that MSQ storage is not scanned by an antivirus product, and that the storage limit is sufficient (I add a 0 to the default value, that makes 10GB)

Regards. Gertjan

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

i like to call those "ghost" items in msmq. it was pretty common with windows 2003 and windows 2008 has gotten better about it but i still see it on occasion. not sure what causes that bug.

FYI, R1 is Notifications of item retrieval requests and R2 is Retrieval requests

stullier
Level 4

Symantec Tech support performed the same steps that GertjanA suggested.

Thanks for the help!