cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Temp files

Sortid
Level 6
Hi,

Running EV 2007 SP4.  I've been having a few issues with Email archiving over the few weeks where the storage service isn't stopping correctly when going into read-only or write mode.  Happened about 4 times in the last 3 weeks, meaning journaling doesn't run correclty.  Yesterday however I had another issue where the email server suddenly started going really slow.   I think it was related to the storage service cos while the journal task was running, it wasn't actually doing anything.  Attempts to restart the services failed, it couldn't stop the storage service.  Several reboots later, it came good.  I had to do this from another server and connect management remotely, as the EV server was effectively unresponsive.  No CPU utilisation, memory was ok, so no idea why it was slow.

When I rechecked it that night, all services had stopped cos c: ran out of space.  I cleaned some stuff out and got it running again.  Investigating today, I've found about 40GB of temp files in the profile of the admin user, labelled "EV$3D.tmp"  "EV$8C2.tmp" etc - there's 200+ of them, each around 354MB.  They were created when the issues started yesterday afternoon, about 10 per minute.  Not sure of their contents, they don't open in wordpad.

What are these files?  Can I delete them? 

There's also a crap load of "ExchangePerflog_8484fa31f45a2102a0c4d109.dat" type files of 1k each, not sure why these are here...

Thanks,

Cam.
2 REPLIES 2

Paul_Grimshaw
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Sortid
Level 6
Quick update, yesterday when things went down, we found the SCOM agent that had been reenabled.  In the past we have kept SCOM off the server as we experienced similar issues about 8 months ago, but yesterday our SCOM administrator got excited and reenabled it.  I have since disabled it. 

Anyone else experienced issues with SCOM?  Is there particular components we should be aware of with it?