cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to delete empty folder

Andrews_Mike
Level 3

We are having an issue with deleting the empty folder on the archive explorer on EV 10.04

Any suggessions ?

7 REPLIES 7

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello Mike,

That is really a short problem statement :) It is not possible to delete an empty folder from Archive Explorer. To delete empty folders, you need to set a registry key. This is in the Registrykeys.pdf, under the Storage section.

As follows:

Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\KVS\Enterprise Vault\Storage
DWORD value: DeleteEmptyFolders
Set to non-zero to enable.

When enabled and the storage service restarted, a new thread examines all vaults in all stores owned by that Storage Service. Empty folders in
structured archives are deleted.
Special folders such as the following are never deleted: "Inbox", "Drafts", "Sent Items", "Outbox", "Deleted Items".
Note: Resets to zero (disabled) when all stores and archives have been processed.

comment  GA:

When the key is set (to 1, as that is 'non-zero'), restart the storageservice. this will then start removing empty folders from archives. The only way to 'monitor' is to verify the registrykey's value is set back to 0. this happens when all empty folders have been deleted.

Regards. Gertjan

Thank you very much for the update. Is this issue enhanced in EV11? We are planning for an upgrade by Jan 2017

GertjanA

Hello Mike. No it is not.

If you have Virtual Vault for your users, I believe that when you enable deletions in VV, users actually can delete the empty folders themselves, but that might not be desirable in your environment.

My experience in using this key is (even in a large environment), it runs reasonably quick. We've ran it initially, and then decided to enable the registry key once a month, to clean up the empty folders (if exist)

Regards. Gertjan

ok, thank you very much.

I need it for single user, do we need any other option than Virtual vault ?

GertjanA

Hello Mike,

For 1 user, it might be best to enable Virtual Vault for him, with allowing modify and delete. this is configurable on the desktop policy. You will need to create a new provisioning group, and place only this account in it, with the modified desktop policy.

In the new desktop policy:

tab vault Cache - select make cache available. Content strategy Do not store any items in cache, select 'make virutal vault available to users'.

tab advanced, dropdown virtual vault. at the bottom. can archive = no, can copy = no, can copy within archive = no, hard delete = yes, reorganize = yes.

I believe (but requies testing0 that allows to delete empty folders from archive.

Regards. Gertjan

CConsult
Partner    VIP   

Hi Andrews,

can you please tell us if the registry key worked for you.

As far as I remember there was a similar problem at one of my former customers, they used ev 10.0.4 and the registry key didnt remove all empty folders.