cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Understanding Client Driven PST Migration

Osama_Salah
Level 4
Hi,
I'm testing client driven pst migration and followed the procedure in the documentation. I didn't get the welcome messages because I made a mistake in that part.
Under personal store mangement | Files I can now see my active PST file with status "migrating" and another PST file that was on my HD with status "ready to copy".

The first one seems to be stuck, it's just a pst with 3 messages and no archive appeared in my mailbox yet.
As for the other PST, it's located in the default PST folder on my computer but I didn't actually want to migrate that one. I wanted to migrate PST files that are loaded in Outlook. Besides I have a few more PST files on my PC in different folders, why were they not picked up?

So my Q. for now
1. Where does client pst migration look for pst files?
2. Can it be limited to migrate only pst files that are actually loaded?

thanks
Osama S.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
The Client searches to find PSTs associated with the user�s profile, for client-driven migration it�s done by a registry search of the profiles in HKCU. So not necessarily PST's opened.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Micah_Wyenn
Level 6
Osama,
The way I understand it is that the client migration piece only migrates PST's that are currently opened in outlook. It's the only method I know that can migrate psts that are currently locked.

Therefore the answer to your questions (I think) is that the client pst migration piece only checks the current user's _loaded_ and open pst files.

micah

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
The Client searches to find PSTs associated with the user�s profile, for client-driven migration it�s done by a registry search of the profiles in HKCU. So not necessarily PST's opened.

Micah_Wyenn
Level 6
Oh kewl,
I didn't think it was that smart. Good to know.

micah