cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading to Exchange 2010 SP3

zamimaro
Level 2

Hi

We have enterprise vault v9, Sp1 and would like to upgrade our exchange 2010 to SP3. Can you please advice if there's a prerequisites on the EV site that we need to do in order to get everything to work correctly after Exchange upgrade?

Regards

Zammy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Arjun_Shelke
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Yes the step 3 is required. When you upgrade the CAS server, EV customizations to the web.config will be lost. And you cannot use backup copy of your web.config because SP3 of exchange would have changed exchange related entries in the web.config file.

The backup copy of web.config file is just for your reference, just in case if you have added any extra entries/lines for EV. By default there are only 2 entries for EV in web.config for resource version identification and logging.

So when you upgrade the exchange CAS, it will replace the web.config file and remove these customizations. Once you are done with exchange upgrade, run OWA extensions, to get default EV entries back. Open web.config and compare the appsettings entries for EV with backup copy of web.config to see if there is any difference. If you find more entries in backup copy, then copy them to this new web.config file.

(Make sure, there is no extra space given else those entries will not be effective, and you might end up with some other OWA issues)

I hope this helps...

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

(Assuming you're already on Exchange 2010 based on the first statement.)

Exchange 2010 SP3 is fully supported with EV9. The only consideration I can think of is if you're using the OWA addin, make a backup of your config file and you might have to reinstall the addin. Other than that, there's nothing to do.

zamimaro
Level 2

Hi Andrew

Thanks for the fast response. Are you referring to the web.config file on the CAS servers? Also from previous deployments, there was a requirements to re-run the EV OWA extension setup but not sure if I need to do the same for this time?

Let me put in previous steps done in the past.

1. Backup web.config on CAS servers

2. Upgrade CAS servers

3. Rerun OWA EV extension (not sure if there's current updated steps for this), restart EV service on EV servers

4. Upgrade HUB transport

5. Upgrade Mailbox

Can you confirm if step #3 still required or any additional?

Arjun_Shelke
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Yes the step 3 is required. When you upgrade the CAS server, EV customizations to the web.config will be lost. And you cannot use backup copy of your web.config because SP3 of exchange would have changed exchange related entries in the web.config file.

The backup copy of web.config file is just for your reference, just in case if you have added any extra entries/lines for EV. By default there are only 2 entries for EV in web.config for resource version identification and logging.

So when you upgrade the exchange CAS, it will replace the web.config file and remove these customizations. Once you are done with exchange upgrade, run OWA extensions, to get default EV entries back. Open web.config and compare the appsettings entries for EV with backup copy of web.config to see if there is any difference. If you find more entries in backup copy, then copy them to this new web.config file.

(Make sure, there is no extra space given else those entries will not be effective, and you might end up with some other OWA issues)

I hope this helps...

Arjun_Shelke
Level 6
Employee Accredited

You can refer this technote for more information on configuring the web.config file on CAS.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH141519

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

I did say in my post that you need to consider #3. I called it the OWA addin but the proper term is extension. sorry if it wasnt clear but i did answer all your questions in my original post.

zamimaro
Level 2

Andrew

Thanks for the explanation. Not really sure with the terms as I'm not really familiar with Enterprise vault. No one in the company does but thanks for your advice. I wanted to accept both posts as solution but not sure how to do it after I accepted the other one first.