cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User Counts and License Keys

MarkOlsen
Level 4
All:

Does anyone know if the user count for the File System Archiving module must equal the user count for the Exchange mailbox?   In other words, let's say I want to archive files for 25 users who are part of a Discovery Accelerator search which is different than the 2,600 mailbox licenses we own?   Any problems?

Thanks ... Mark
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Mats

This was from an official document of Symantec, but it was for Version 7.0 and maybe really IS outdated.
I'd suggest you contact a Symantec Sales rep. for this issue.

Cheers
Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

MichelZ
Level 6
Mark

No, FSA User licenses do not have to match the number of Exchange Archiving Mailboxes, but it's another thing in Discovery Accelerator.

As from the LIcense Support Guide:

- File System Archiving, Archiving Only (No Search) is priced Per Gigabyte of uncompressed data targeted for storage
- File System Archivin, Archiving & Search is priced Per User, based upon the number of users accessing archived files.
- Discovery Accelerator is priced Per User, based upon the number of users wich archived items - not the number of users performing the searches. This typically corresponds to the number of users licensed for Microsoft Exchange or Lotus Domino Journaling.
- Mailbox Archiving for Microsoft Exchange is priced Per User, based on the number of users to be archived.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Michel

Mats_Holm
Level 4
Actually I was told that FSA is onloy licensed with user licenses nowdays and not by GB anymore. I didn't find out how to calculate what user Sym is talking about cause the customer in this case don't want any search functionality.

//Mats

MichelZ
Level 6
Mats

This was from an official document of Symantec, but it was for Version 7.0 and maybe really IS outdated.
I'd suggest you contact a Symantec Sales rep. for this issue.

Cheers
Michel

jimbo2
Level 6
Partner
There are different license schemes and Tech Support at Symantec does not deal with license questions only license problems such as a license error in the event log. Michel is correct, contact Symantec but you will need to speak to Customer Care and not Technical Support. This may save you some time from being transferred.

Jim S.

MarkOlsen
Level 4
All:

The latest information I have: when we originally looked at the FSA module in early 2006, it was indeed priced a a per Terabyte model.  As I recall, retail was something like $20K per Terabyte.   It is currently based on a per user model and at least for the retail schedule our company is on is in the $25 per user range before any negotiations.  Good advice on the DA implications: that didn't come up.   I'll check with our rep.

Thanks ... Mark

Brian_Day
Level 6

@MichelZ wrote:
Mark

- Discovery Accelerator is priced Per User, based upon the number of users wich archived items - not the number of users performing the searches. This typically corresponds to the number of users licensed for Microsoft Exchange or Lotus Domino Journaling

We'll be working with Symantec to hopefully change this for at least our own account. We're basically an Exchange hosting provider the way our system is setup for many different agencies. Out of the thousands of mailboxes we'll be archiving, we'll never have a need to use DA across all of them. We need it to be licensable only to the agencies which request to purchase & use it.