cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Windows server DFS for replication

SHI-CRO
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

A customer wants to use DFS to replicate EV data (aside from DBs) from his primary datacenter to a standby in a DR site.  I was wondering if anyone has tried this before.  It seems like something you wouldn't want to do, but I can't think of why it wouldn't work.

3 REPLIES 3

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

it sounds like your customer wants to write their indexes and vault store partitions to DFS-enabled shares?cant say i've ever come across someone wanting to use DFS for that purpose. the only mention of DFS and EV working (or not) together is when it comes to FSA which you can find in the compatibility guide.

Nate_D1
Level 6
Based on past experience I could see a lot of issues with this. We recently had DFS-R turned on for our file shares and started seeing several enterprise apps erroring out in strange ways. We figured it had to do with DFS-R but could not figure out exactly why. One of our departments runs subsecond transactions and finally uncovered what (roughly) is happening. "A process" for DFS-R seems to grab ahold of a file as soon as its not being accessed by another process. It only holds it for a short time (we are assuming during replication process to ensure its the same file on both sides) but to any application sensitive enough - it fails. I noticed this strongly effected IBM Cognos and a few other lesser known apps. Depending on the way EV accesses the indexes, *I think* it may either a) only get replicated during a nightly process when the indexes are 'let go of' by EV processes (meaning the index could be out of date for a day at a time) or b) DFS-R will have a chance to get in and try and replicate it, and EV will wind up waiting/crashing while it tries to access the file. I would try to run this as a pilot if possible and test it to the gills before putting it into production.

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited

There are some limitations with DFS-R which you should look into. Supposedly 2012 DFS is much better.  Have you looked into using Nearsync?  It is designed to do exactly the job you want but also has some other added benefits.