cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using additional servers for extra archiving processing

Shane_Seagreen
Level 4
Reading the Version 7 documentation, its mentioned that additional server can be employed to assist with the initial archiving processing, and then redeployed to elsewhere as and when the need arises. Has anyone tried this? Or are there any pointers to documentation on how to do this? I assume the servers will be members of the site, but I don't understand how it will attach to the storage and archive DB's. If anyone can explain, or point me in the right direction for online reading, I'd be grateful.
3 REPLIES 3

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
Hi,

What you can do is initially start with more servers and have vault stores on all those servers. Later on you could recofigure the vault stores so that they are spread not over say 10 servers but say 4. 

Shane_Seagreen
Level 4
OK, so each "extra" vault server would have its own active partition that it would be vaulting to on its own disks. When we want to do away with some of the extra boxes, these partitions are moved onto the "live"servers storage, and somehow picked up? This is the part I don't understand. The concept of having more machines to do the work is great, I just need to understand how the data is "transferred" from one of the drones to the "live" boxes, and what the impact to the user base would be during this time.

David_Messeng1
Level 6
Shane,

I've done this only the other way round - put in multiple stores on each EV server now so I can add more servers later if I need more Vaults.

You can move a store to another server.  In reality do you really want to?  Remember if you have 2 stores instead of one you will immediately half your single instance ratio.